cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d2 to 5d4 upgrade

47greyfox
Enthusiast

This is my dilemma and I'll acknowledge that it may not be a smart use of my wallet. I have a perfectly fine 6d2 with battery grip that I bought about two years ago. I also have a 7d2 with a good selection of lenses for both. I recently came across a really attractive price for a 5d4 with less than 10k clicks that includes a couple batteries and a Pixel battery grip. The move, assuming I can sell the 6d2 for a decent shouldn't cost more than $650-$700. My only issues with the 6d2 are with burst rate (not much diff than 5d4) and AF accuracy and speed. Would this move make sense? I need a dose of realism.

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

For me, personally?  Going from a 6D2 to a 5D4 would not make sense.  I like the Bluetooth functionality in the 6D2, which the 5D4 lacks.  In fact, I picked the 6D2 over the 5D4 because of the Bluetooth.

Your needs and mileage my vary from mine.  I have found that the 6D2 can hold its' ground for shooting sports and wildlife.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@47greyfox,
I got my 6D2 a few months after its release.  Just over 3 yrs ago.  I love it. 

Last year after saying I'd never...  I almost bought a 5D4.  This year I find myself in the same boat and even considered the R, another "I'd never" purchase.

We are not getting a 5D5 which is something I really wanted and would have paid for.  The 1DX3 is a marvell but too big for my shooting preference (everyday use).  

I'll buy refurb, but probably wouldn't buy used.  Thats a matter if personal preference.  I really like my 6D2, and although the 5D4 is a smidge better in ISO, AF and IQ, my 6D2 like Wadizzle points out performs extremely well.  I was on the fence 3 yrs ago.  Coming from APS-C to FF....  the articulating screen was finally what persuaded me and I'm very happy with my choice.  

If you were coming from anything else, I might say buy the used 5D4.  Since you aren't, I'd say don't do it.  If you really want to upgrade, then buy an R and a Control Ring.  You're going to need some batteries too.  After you get over its battery life and that funky touchbar, I think it could grow on you.  Better investment either way.  New Year sale is coming.

Let's get back on track.  What about your 6D2 don't you like?  What is a 5D4 going to give you that its not?  The differences in DR between the two is slim.  45 to 61 AF points.  Small bump in vid performance.  4MP difference in image size and dual slots. Differences in FPS is .5 and focus wise, if you are using Canon glass is also going to be hard to notice if at all.

The 5D4 is turing 5 next year.  Does it still have years of longivity left, absolutlely.  Its been the industry standard for pro photography since its release.  However, buying one now when Canon is poised to deliver many new bodies next year might not give the best ROI.

Go hold a 5D4 and R. Think about what that 5D4 is really going to give you over the 6D2 you own now.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It may if you'll take advantage of certain things.

I had the original 6D and ultimately chose to upgrade to the 5D IV instead of the 6D II.  Here were the main reasons which drove my decision:

• 1/200 s flash sync speed vs 1/180 s
  • 1/8000 shutter option
  • Better AF system to include more points (61 vs 45).
  • 100% viewfinder coverage (vs I think 98%?; small I know but I found it very annoying to not have 100% coverage)
  • Dual card slots
  • Better weather sealing

So I would recommend coming up with a list of those features on your 6D II that you'd like to improve upon and see if the list is large enough to justify the cost.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

It may if you'll take advantage of certain things.

I had the original 6D and ultimately chose to upgrade to the 5D IV instead of the 6D II.  Here were the main reasons which drove my decision:

• 1/200 s flash sync speed vs 1/180 s
  • 1/8000 shutter option
  • Better AF system to include more points (61 vs 45).
  • 100% viewfinder coverage (vs I think 98%?; small I know but I found it very annoying to not have 100% coverage)
  • Dual card slots
  • Better weather sealing

So I would recommend coming up with a list of those features on your 6D II that you'd like to improve upon and see if the list is large enough to justify the cost.

Whether or not the 5D4 has a better AF system depends upon one's needs and  point of view, I suppose.

The 5D4 has 61 AF points, of which 41 are cross type, and 13 have f/8 functionality.

The 6D2 has 45 AF points, of which 45 are cross type, and 27 have f/8 functionality.  

There are pros and cons for both bodies.  But, I don't think the AF system in the 5D4 is the "better AF system".  Like I said, the 6D2 can hold its' own quite well shooting sports and wildlife.  

It is really a matter of each individual's needs.  For me it was a toss up, with Bluetooth being the deciding factor.  Having the internal GPS and Wi-Fi is handy, too.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Would this move make sense?"

I would do it in a heartbeat.  No matter what other features either camera has the 5 series is far better build than the prosummer 6 series. The 6's have always been Canon's entry level to a FF camera.  Yeah, it got better with the Mk II, it needed too, but you are still in the lower class of camera. The 5 series is as close as you can come to a full on pro series camera. I don't care or use bluetooth so that is out right from the start for me. You can sight all the specs you want but a 6 series will never be a 5 series. After all, a Rebel T8i has all the bells and whistles doesn't it? The only down side I see is the 5D Mk IV is getting pretty old. Long in the tooth.  If that is a concern to you, that pretty much answers your question.

"... and a Pixel battery grip."

That needs to go to the trash pile. Get a Canon grip with Canon batteries.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

SBK
Enthusiast

@47greyfox

I was having the similar question. I have the the 6D2 and was thinking of getting the 5D Mark IV down the road.

From what i've read on this forum and elsewhere, the 5D4 is really well built for professional use. So that tells about its robustness.

However, when comparing prices as of this writing, both the 5D4 and R6 are sold new for $2500. So if you can wait, the price of the R6 will come down, and the used ones will be cheaper.

The advantages of the R6 over the 5D4 are many. But below are a few that are very attractive to me:

- in-body image stabilization (8 f-stops, with some RF lenses)

- mirrorless, so you can shoot without making any shutter noise

- compatible with both EF and RF lenses

- Free-Angle Tilting Touchscreen LCD

- RF lenses has the additional control ring

- dual slot SD cards using identical memory cards

The 5D4 has 30 MP advantage which is big if you plan to have large print. On my side, i don't think i would print much larger than 11x14, so 20MP is not too much of a problem.

SBK -
I'm primarily a landscape shooter and nature when the opportunity presents itself, With landscape, detail is king, and often I have to crop for composition purposes. My concern, which has been voiced by a number of reviews online, is resolution loss as a result since I'm cropping into a 20gb sensor image. I experience the same issue when shooting with the 7d2 on the rare occasion that I'm out using that body for something other than action shots. The sensors are the same size +/- and even tho the R6 has a better sensor and reportedly improved DR and AF, I'm hesitant. Having said that.... yeah, the same thought has crossed my mind. Nothing is easy! 🙂

@47greyfox wrote:
SBK -
I'm primarily a landscape shooter and nature when the opportunity presents itself, With landscape, detail is king, and often I have to crop for composition purposes. My concern, which has been voiced by a number of reviews online, is resolution loss as a result since I'm cropping into a 20gb sensor image. I experience the same issue when shooting with the 7d2 on the rare occasion that I'm out using that body for something other than action shots. The sensors are the same size +/- and even tho the R6 has a better sensor and reportedly improved DR and AF, I'm hesitant. Having said that.... yeah, the same thought has crossed my mind. Nothing is easy! 🙂

If you want high resolution landscape photos, then create a panoramic shot.

3DDABD3E-19A0-4CC9-A6BB-B69869D07E0A.jpeg

This shot is 38MP, and was captured with a 6D, using the EF 70-200mm f/2/8L IS II USM..  I think this is the right copy.  It is from my previously uploaded images.

Nice, Waddizzle! Did you shoot in portrait mode? Tripod or handheld?
Announcements