cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d shutter failure problem

bbstudio
Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I am having some problems with my canon 6d.

I am a professional photographer and I do mostly studio workwith it.

Lately i've been having issues with my shutter (at least looks thath way).

When I use studio lights the curtain appears in many of the shots in a randomly way.

I went to Canon official service and they replaced the shutter (it was an expensive replacement). But now I am having the same issue.

It doesn't seem to happen when I test the camera with natural light though. Which confuses me a lot.

Does anyone have any recomendations or educated guess about another thing that my cause the problem.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

EXAMPLE:

IMG_0022.jpg

15 REPLIES 15

Peter
Authority
Authority

Tried a slower shutter speed? 1/180 sec and slower or to activate High speed sync?

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2013/20131209_stoner_highspeedsync_blog.shtml

@Peter wrote:

Tried a slower shutter speed? 1/180 sec and slower or to activate High speed sync?

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2013/20131209_stoner_highspeedsync_blog.shtml

Okey, your settings: 1/125 sec, f/8, ISO 320

What kind of strobes and how do you trigger them?

i use a couple of Hensel studio lights. I have been using them for year now.

as you said, the shutter speed is 125 which should be more than fine.

this just started to happen a few months ago sudenly adn as i said before, they already change the shutter in my camera i don't know what else to do.

I use a chinese remote trigger... been using this also for a long time.

maybe they are broken?

@bbstudio wrote:

I use a chinese remote trigger... been using this also for a long time.

maybe they are broken?

It is time to start eliminating possibilities.  Do you have a Canon Speedlite you could try?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have a chinese speedlight, but if i need a Canon speedlight i can borrow one.

what do you want me to try?

@bbstudio wrote:

I have a chinese speedlight, but if i need a Canon speedlight i can borrow one.

what do you want me to try?

Try some different gear.  Something less complicated.  Anything except the stuff you've already described.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@bbstudio wrote:

i use a couple of Hensel studio lights. I have been using them for year now.

as you said, the shutter speed is 125 which should be more than fine.

this just started to happen a few months ago sudenly adn as i said before, they already change the shutter in my camera i don't know what else to do.

There are at least a couple of things tht could be going on here. If, for example, the camera is using ETTL protocol but the lights don't understand it, that can cause all sorts of problems, including synchronization issues. And if the lights exhibit any delay in firing, setting the shutter speed below the sync speed may not be sufficient.

This is a bit far-fetched, but is it possible that you've inadvertently turned on 2nd-curtain synchronization? That might exaggerate the effect of any firing delay in the lights. And it could explain why it's happening to you now when it didn't before.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for your imput. I checked and it's set up on 1st curtain sync. 

Thanks though. And regarding the ettl, is wasn't a problem before, so I don't think is that but i'll check with the studio flashes 'bout that.

Thanks!

Bruno

Announcements