cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d mark III does not recognize the Canon Speedlite 580EX (first, yes)

cinefile
Apprentice

Hello there! I buy used Canon 5dmIII and when I put on my flash, it can't work properly. Can't manage it through menu of camera. AF assist and TTL not worked too. Tell me please - is this old flash or broken camera?

Thanks in advance for your wise thoughts.

(Sorry for my English, I'm from the land of vodla and bears)

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 5D3 and the 580EX should be able to work together, without any problems. Contat Canon support in your area.  The initial contact could be free of charge.

Go into the camera menus, and make sure the camera has external flash enabled.  Make sure the flash and the camera are both set for TTL mode. Try the flash on a different camera.  Try a different flash on the camera.

You might try mounting the flash on the camera before you turn on the camera.  After you turn on the camera, wait about a minute, and then turn on the flash.  You should not have to take these steps, though.  The camera should recognize the flash after a brief delay once you turn them both on.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for quick respond! Finally I decide this  problem. It was play with cf.n (don't ask why I touch them!) in flash. When I turn all cf.n's to zero all become  good!

@cinefile wrote:

Hello there! I buy used Canon 5dmIII and when I put on my flash, it can't work properly. Can't manage it through menu of camera. AF assist and TTL not worked too. Tell me please - is this old flash or broken camera?

Thanks in advance for your wise thoughts.

(Sorry for my English, I'm from the land of vodla and bears)

Здравствуйте!

If you have the flash set to TTL, that may be your problem. The 5D3 is an E-TTL camera, and requires the flash to be set accordingly. If the flash is set to TTL instead, it will fire at full power every time, and all pictures will be grossly overexposed. The 580EX is current enough to adapt to that, so make sure it's set to "E-TTL".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"If you have the flash set to TTL, that may be your problem. The 5D3 is an E-TTL camera, and requires the flash to be set accordingly. If the flash is set to TTL instead, it will fire at full power every time, and all pictures will be grossly overexposed. The 580EX is current enough to adapt to that, so make sure it's set to "E-TTL".

I thought "E-TTL" and "TTL" would display the same way in the flash, simply as "TTL", just one setting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Bob) Finally I could fix the problem. The name of problem was c.fn in flash. For some reason I put all 0's to 1's. But now they are 0 again and all works fine, thank you for your help.

Announcements