cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5DS and gp-e2 gps disables interval timer

dzubot
Contributor
I'm very frustrated with gps and the canon 5DS. I cannot find a way to connect my canon GPS receiver except through the hot shoe port. I use this camera for aerial mapping and require the hot shoe port for another device, I have purchased the USB adapter cable to connect the camera to gps that way but when I do this it disables the interva timer!? Why would it do this? Any suggestions? I have also tried a TTL splitter, they don't work. I also have tried just logging with the gp-e2. This file is useless. When I import it into any program it says there is no time and date info on the gps file.
8 REPLIES 8

Does the camera see the interval timer as a wireless device? Most (all?) Canon cameras can't have a wireless device and a USB device active simultaneously.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

dzubot
Contributor
I don't know. The gps works when connected through USB port but it turns off the interval timer which I need for mapping. I have the cam ranger wifi adapter and have been using that in USB port to monitor and control interval timer from pilot seat. The hot shoe port I use to record when each trigger even occurs through a voltage pulse this is for my IMU data. So I have no other ports to geotag. I'm very annoyed that the canon Gps log feature doesn't allow me to geotagg the images after the flight. I sync the gps time with the canon camera before mapping also, I was hoping that would help in post processing but it doesn't.

dzubot
Contributor
Does anyone know if a USB splitter would work? Allowing me to connect camranger and gps through same port so I can use the camranger to monitor and control interval while still getting the camera to geotagg?

You can use the GPS-2 off camera as a logger and link the GPS data and the file data via the EOS Map Utility.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dzubot
Contributor
Interesting I have not seen this feature on the program. I wonder if it will geotagg 4000 50mp size raw files...will have to try this

Capture1.JPG

File size would have no impact.

You could call Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON and talk with them about the apparent conflict.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dzubot
Contributor
Oh I have they sent me the wrong USB 3B to mini USB three times before getting I right. Finally got the right cable to only find out that it disables interval timer.

dzubot
Contributor
Thanks for the map utility geotagging suggestion. It works with 500 images at a time. Any more and the program crashes. Another problem though now I've come to see, the logging feature doesn't record altitude info, so none of the geotagged images have attitude information which almost makes it useless when using for aerial mapping applications. Can't wait until canon builds in gps in their high end cameras.
Announcements