cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D IV popping noise behind screen after service?

SuzukiGS750EZ
Apprentice

Hey guys. I sent my camera in for a service and it came back dirty the first time. This was my first time ever sending a camera in so i was a little bit annoyed. Second time sending it came back good.

I however don't remember a popping noise behind the screen. When i turn the camera on, it makes a popping noise similar to a relay clicking or something. I don't remember this happening before sending it in for service. Can somebody verify whether this is or isn't normal? Maybe i'm just forgetting. Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Was it a Canon direct service center or from another service center?  If Canon call and explain the problem. They will make it right. If it was some other service center don't use them again.

I don't have a 5D Mk IV but I did own a 5D Mk III and I have a 1DX currently, neither make any noise upon start up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the camera is set to capture images, it will not make  a "popping" noise when you power it on.

If you have it in video mode, you would hear the mirror lock up when you powered it on.

Maybe this be what you are describing?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Just curious since I never shoot and have never shot video with any DSLR.  Is it possible to leave it in video mode? I have no idea as I thought it always defaulted to stills?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Just curious since I never shoot and have never shot video with any DSLR.  Is it possible to leave it in video mode? I have no idea as I thought it always defaulted to stills?

Our 5D4, 7D2, and R6 have switches, so if they are switched to video, that is where it wakes up. The R6 is on the main dial, then a red button just behind the shutter button to start capture where as the 5D4 and 7D2 have seperate switches lower right of the VF with a button in the center of the switch to start capture. Our Rebels just have a button to activate capture. Not sure if the Rebels wake up in video if that is where you turned it off.

I've probably shot 3 short videos over the years.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Ernie,

If you have one of the models FloridaDrafter mentioned..  or a 6D2 (like myself) then yes, the camera can be left in video mode and will shoot in this mode when powered on or when woken up from a low power state.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"...the camera can be left in video mode ..."

Thanx Rick. This is something I have never done.  I know my 1DX shoots video, at least I think it does, but I have no idea how!

I shoud try it I guess.

EB

"Our 5D4, 7D2, and R6 have switches, ..."

Thanx, I guess my 5D Mk III was the same but I never used it nor did I even notice or remember the dial having that feature.

EB

The video quality from your 1DX will be very good Ernie but using the LCD viewing screen to shoot video is terribly awkward in many situations. 

I have shot short video clips with my 1DX bodies on a handful of occasions when I was in a situation where video was useful and I didn't have my XF-400 along. I have no complaints about quality from any of these bodies but I have little interest in shooting video and even less interest when using a camera that was intended primarily for stills.

My daughter is going with me to shoot a track conference championship later today and she will be using my 1DX with EF 70-200 f2.8 while I use the 1DX II and III bodies.  Even compared to its later family members, the 1DX is still an incredibly good sports camera and a true pleasure to use. 

Anna got some very nice shots with this combination at a soccer match she attended with me last week while she awaits governing body approval to rejoin sports after transferring to a different school for her senior year for better academic opportunities. But I hope next year she is back on the field instead of with me on the sidelines. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

" I have little interest in shooting video and even less interest when using a camera that was intended primarily for stills."

Thanx, Rodger but that sentence is me.  One caveat, I have littler interest in video, period. Any camera!

EB
Announcements