cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 200D (SL2) External monitor issue

deltavlokkies
Contributor

Hello!

I have a Canon 200D (SL2) and I just bought a Feelworld F5 monitor for my camera, it has a audio metering feature but it doesnt seem to be working..

Is this a camera specific issue or is there something wrong with my monitor?

I hope someone can helpe me with this 🙂

24 REPLIES 24

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you plug into the HDMI output, the signal going to the rear screen is redirected to the HDMI output.  There is no audio.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So if I understand you correctly, there's no way the audio monitor feature is going to work?

I mean the audio meter feature on the external monitor, that shows you how loud the sound is etc.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sounds like you should be on a Feelworld F5 monitor web page to see what are the compatible cameras. One of the  additions in HDMI over the old DVI was sound, it does handle stereo audio ability. However, I have to bow to the above post since I have no idea if the HDMI from a SL2 offers sound out. I never use my camera's HDMI output.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I cant seem to find if the SL2 offers sound out via HDMI as well. Does any other Canon camera support this feature? If so, which camera should I be looking for? Not looking for a thousand dollar camera either.

@deltavlokkies wrote:
I cant seem to find if the SL2 offers sound out via HDMI as well. Does any other Canon camera support this feature? If so, which camera should I be looking for? Not looking for a thousand dollar camera either.

Try recoding a video in the camera, and then play it back through the HDMI output to your monitor.

Most people who use the HDMI output will record it on an external recorder.  They will also use external microphones that plug into the same external recorder.  The DSLR is only used as a video camera.

Can it also be because I use a "cheaper" hdmi mini to full size hdmi cable? That it doesnt' support sound?

"Can it also be because I use a "cheaper" hdmi mini to full size hdmi cable?"

If it says it is an HDMI cable it should do sound because that is what an HDMI does.  I doubt that is your problem. The logical answer is the SL2 does not offer sound out on HDMI.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@deltavlokkies wrote:

Can it also be because I use a "cheaper" hdmi mini to full size hdmi cable? That it doesnt' support sound?

Here is what I think is happening.  And, most of Canon's DSLRs all do the same thing.

There is set of "video electronics", for lack of a better term, and a set of "audio electronics."  There is only one set of each in most cameras.  When you record a video the audio and video electronics send digital data to the SD card.

Whenever you are in movie mode, the video signal is captured off of the sensor, an HDMI signal is generated and sent to the rear LCD monitor.  It is this signal that is diverted to the HDMI output when you plug in an HDMI cable.  Notice that there is no audio.

[EDIT]

The rear LCD does not need an audio signal, so no electronics to include is in the camera.  Saves money.  The reason why the LCD screeen turns off when you plug into the HDMI port is because there is only set of "HDMI electronics" in the camera.

I am curious to know what happens when you record a video in the camera, and play it back to the HDMI out.

deltavlokkies
Contributor
When I play back a video I see the audio levels move. So that does work.

But it won’t work with the mic.

I just tested it with a Canon 250D and with that camera it works like a charm.

Why doesn’t it with my Canon 200D?
Announcements