cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1Dx jams in recording mode after I shoot in burst mode for as little as 4-5 images.

talbotphotoart
Contributor

When I shoot in burst mode, the red light indicating images are recorded lights up and stay that way for sometime 2-3 minutes. I use low burst mode that is set up at 9 images per second. I rarely do a lot of images in burst mode, maybe 5-6 at the maximum. I am using Sandisk Extreme Pro Flash memory cards, 32 GB. I shoot in RAW only. It's a new issue. So I bought new memory cards, also Sandisk Extreme Pro, 32 GB. The issue persists. I format my cards after each use. What could be the problem? Thanks you!

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@talbotphotoart wrote:

When I shoot in burst mode, the red light indicating images are recorded lights up and stay that way for sometime 2-3 minutes. I use low burst mode that is set up at 9 images per second. I rarely do a lot of images in burst mode, maybe 5-6 at the maximum. I am using Sandisk Extreme Pro Flash memory cards, 32 GB. I shoot in RAW only.

It's a new issue. So I bought new memory cards, also Sandisk Extreme Pro, 32 GB. The issue persists. I format my cards after each use. What could be the problem? Thanks you!

Welcome to the Canon Forums.

If you are using new memory cards and still experiencing the same issue, then it is time to take a closer look at the camera and its settings.  

Just to confirm, you are using CF and SD cards.  Are both slots giving you issues, or just one?  If so, which one?  Do you write to both slots, or just one?

How long is each exposure in a burst?  Which, if any, noise reduction and image processing settings are enabled?  

That’s a lot to answer.  But it is a start.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply!

Both cards are Compact Flash, same brand, same capacity. I bought 2 new cards and issue is still there with both new cards. I shoot on both, second card is a backup in case something goes wrong with the first card. I would have to test with only one card for each slot.

When I shoot in burst mode, it's for birds in flight so pretty much 1/1600 sec and faster.

Noise reduction and image processing are both off.

Thank you so much!

Thanks, for the quick reply!  Yes!  Test one with just one card type in the camera at a time.  Let us know the results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Will test that today and get back to you! Thanks!

I went to shoot birds yesterday and I used my 2 new memory cards. Didn't have the issue. I tried a burst of 15 images and everything was fine! It recorded for about 2 seconds. So I guess it's one of my previous memory cards that are at fault. Will have to test more and I will let you know for sure!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

talbotphotoart,

Just for the heck of it, fire off a burst of jpegs instead of RAW. See if there is any difference.

It might be that 5 or 6 RAW files is too much for a 32Gb card to handle all at once.

Waddizzle had a good question, I think. You might be experiencing a long exposure noise reduction process going on.

Steve Thomas

Didn't have the issue before with these memory cards. It started doing that recently. Bought 2 new memory card, same brand, same capacity, no issue. Noise reduction isn't activated. Battery is almost new. Thanks!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

How old is your battery?  Canon 1 series cameras don't respond well in burst mode to batteries that are near end of life.  The voltage drop is excessive under sustained load causing unpredictable results.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Original battery wasn't used much. Bought the camera from a friend who shot 13,000 images with it, no video. I have 2 other batteries that are generic. have been using those for a while now without issue and the charge capacity is still 100%. Thank you! I will keep that in mind if I ever have other issues!

Announcements