cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1DX Mark iii Change AF Area Selection

marissalinscott
Apprentice

81E9DE7E-77F3-48BB-A1AE-C2674FFCC965.jpeg

 Hello! I’m trying to change the area selection mode but it won’t budge. I’ve tried using the dial and m-fn but it won’t work. It looks like it’s just automatically set to that singular square. I really would like to shoot with af area: surround but I don’t know how. 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried pressing the [INFO] button, yet?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I also recommend that you download the full User Guide to help you understand the camera controls and menus.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-1d-x-mark-iii 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try the Multi-controller #16 in the picture below. I don't have this camera, but I think that is what you need to use in your case.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 143703.jpg

I believe the factory default setting for that control is disabled.  I guess the engineers decided that they did not want people accidentally moving AF points around just by handling the camera, like moving it in and out of camera bag or something.

I also believe the OP is on the wrong menu.  That appears to be the menu that is used to limit which AF point modes are available for selection.  You do not select AF [points] from this screen.  I believe that is why you see all of the “check marks” in the screenshot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"I’m trying to change the area selection mode but it won’t budge."

I think he is in the right menu based on that he says he wants to change the AF area selection, not AF points.

@Anonymous wrote:

I would try the Multi-controller #16 in the picture below. I don't have this camera, but I think that is what you need to use in your case.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 143703.jpg

While selecting AF points can be performed in the menu system, there is a dedicated button for selecting AF points in the top right corner of the rear panel.  It has an icon that looks like a miniature checkerboard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's my understanding that this menu is for making groups of AF points available or unavailable for selection based on the checkmark. 

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

That menu selection allows you to disable certain AF selections, single spot non-micro focus can NOT be disabled but the rest can.  I leave all of these enabled on my 1DX series bodies.

To select the AF area on the 1DX series, press and release the small button at the upper most right on the back of the body (just behind the right upper camera strap attachment).  Depending upon the menu setting, you will use either the main dial OR the M-fn button to cycle through the choices.

The next menu item below the one in your photo allows you to choose either the main dial or the M-fn button for selecting the AF array, I prefer using the main dial but it is a personal preference which you select.

The next item down lets you choose whether the same AF point setting is used in both portrait and landscape orientation, again choose what you like best but I have mine set to allow separate choices for the two orientations.  I shoot primarily sports and this is the best choice for that use I believe.

The 1DX III has a fairly decent help system built into the menu system via the info button so use this if you don't have the manual handy.  Even though the 1DX bodies come with a full printed manual you will find the PDF manual very handy with its index, search features, and hot links so download it from the Canon site.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements