cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon Digital Rebel XTI Upgrade for newbie

ijpisarcik
Apprentice

I bought a Cannon Digital Rebel XTI with a standard EFS 18-55 lens years ago, but haven't used it for some time. I recently had children and want to get into photography. I am a total amateur, so please bear with me!

I'm trying to figure out whether to (1) upgrade the Digital Rebel XTI body, (2) upgrade the EFS 18-55 lens, or (3) both. I'd REALLY like to spend less than $500, but could be persuaded to spend more.

Here's some information about me:

I like a versatile lens, but I primarily enjoy taking close-up portraits. Right now, I just print 5x7's to frame, but I'd like to explore printing much larger prints.

So, is my camera so outdated that I need to get a new body, or will I get more bang for my buck by buying a new lens?

Thank you for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

"In support of Ernie's comments, definitely PP is a part of the production cycle."

Trevor, I think you mean Canon DPP or Digital Photo Professional.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

No Demetrius, I mean that PP (Post Production) as a process is part of the (image) production cycle, it would be too specific to say that DPP was specifically.  That is why I mentioned it separately as a possible tool

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I misread it and took it as a typo.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

No worries, mate!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements