cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon Digital Rebel XTI Upgrade for newbie

ijpisarcik
Apprentice

I bought a Cannon Digital Rebel XTI with a standard EFS 18-55 lens years ago, but haven't used it for some time. I recently had children and want to get into photography. I am a total amateur, so please bear with me!

I'm trying to figure out whether to (1) upgrade the Digital Rebel XTI body, (2) upgrade the EFS 18-55 lens, or (3) both. I'd REALLY like to spend less than $500, but could be persuaded to spend more.

Here's some information about me:

I like a versatile lens, but I primarily enjoy taking close-up portraits. Right now, I just print 5x7's to frame, but I'd like to explore printing much larger prints.

So, is my camera so outdated that I need to get a new body, or will I get more bang for my buck by buying a new lens?

Thank you for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

"In support of Ernie's comments, definitely PP is a part of the production cycle."

Trevor, I think you mean Canon DPP or Digital Photo Professional.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

No Demetrius, I mean that PP (Post Production) as a process is part of the (image) production cycle, it would be too specific to say that DPP was specifically.  That is why I mentioned it separately as a possible tool

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I misread it and took it as a typo.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

No worries, mate!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements