cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you invert negitive film in camera with settings using D5 Mark IV?

wkwells4072
Apprentice

I have a lot of B & W negitives and want to digitize them using my EOS D5 Mark IV. 

Can I preview the negitive image with my camera by inverting the image to positive. 

So two main questions......

Is there an invert or negitive setting in camera?

Can I preview the image in the ESO Utility as a positive?

Thank you for any info or help.

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@wkwells4072 wrote:

I have a lot of B & W negitives and want to digitize them using my EOS D5 Mark IV. 

Can I preview the negitive image with my camera by inverting the image to positive. 

So two main questions......

Is there an invert or negitive setting in camera?

Can I preview the image in the ESO Utility as a positive?

Thank you for any info or help.

Photoshop, or some other image editing software can do it.  Camera’s are designed to create image files, not so much to edit them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to edit the negitive film images but want to preview the positive image before I snap the picture.

Before I bought my camera I researched this topic. It's been a while but I seem to remember seeing a loadable preset that would invert negitive images just like presets inside some cell phone camera's.

@wkwells4072 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to edit the negitive film images but want to preview the positive image before I snap the picture.

Before I bought my camera I researched this topic. It's been a while but I seem to remember seeing a loadable preset that would invert negitive images just like presets inside some cell phone camera's.

You seem to be suggesting that you're planning to photograph the negative with your 5D4 as a way of digitizing it. I don't pretend to be an expert in such things, but that doesn't sound like the best way to do it. I believe the customary method is to digitize the negative using a high-resolution flatbed scanner, then reverse it with a photo editor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes that's what I'm doing. 

It's a long process but from everything I've read using the DSLR with my macro lens give better results. 

I'm going through about a thousand 35mm slides like this right now. Over half way done photographing them into jpeg and raw files. It's been a fun process so far. Lol

With the negitives... I'm missing some developed photos. These are B&W negatives. 

I would like to see them in a preview of the positive side so I can figure which ones I need to snap a pic of.

The answer is no, there is no way to see th positive in the camera.

"The answer is no, there is no way to see th positive in the camera."

The answer is a scanner.  Some are pretty inexpensive and some are darn expensive.  However, a person that buys a 5D Mk IV is not scared off by a few thousand dollars.  My scanner scans 10 slides at a time.  It scans color negatives and converts them correctly to color positives.  It scans B&W negatives into PS where I do the conversion I want.  It is the way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tim
Authority

Hello wkwells4072, 

As others have suggested, the EOS 5D Mark IV doesn't have a setting for which to invert a negative to a positive in camera.

There are plenty of adapters that you can use to capture 35mm positives and negatives with an SLR, as I'm sure you're aware, but these are primarily used to strictly provide the means for capture.  For editing (to include color correction and inversion of negative to positive) you'd have to use a computer.    

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ergas
Contributor

I have the same wish. I have a lot of 35mm negatives. I would like to make quick preview with my Canon 80D. I already use my 80D with EF-S 60mm macro and Photo Magnifier to scan and convert my negatives to positives. But, I can't preview a picture until I convert it to positive in some software on my PC. I would like to make negative thumnbail-shoots and view them as positive straight in my camera. To decide which negative to scan and convert.

I suppose, it would be very easy for Canon to enable this feature by removing limitation in Picture Stlye Editor. It is very easy to create negative, by inverting a Tone Curve. A problem is, Picture style editor does not allow to create falling Tone curve. I can only make it flat, thus loosing a picuture.

It would be nice if Canon makes an upgrade to PSE 1.19.10.0 and enable us to invert Tone curve. It would be very nice and pretty exclusive feature of Canon cameras. To crate custom "Negative" picture style. Shooting positive thumbnails of 35mm negative film. Preview positive directly in camera, by applying custom picutre style. Great feature with one, I suppose simple, Picture Style Editor upgrade.

Since you are referring to a topic from 4 years ago, you can see that there is not much call for this feature.

Announcements