cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't transfer RAW images from T6i

tcpritchard
Contributor

Hi all,

I recently bought a T6i, a 64 GB SanDisk card, and an Optex card reader. I can take photos just fine, I can transfer the RAW images from the camera to my phone as JPEGs using the Canon Camera Connect app, but I can NOT seem to get the RAW images off the camera.

Whenver I use the card reader, I get a message saying the card has to be formatted (which I obviously don't want to do). It works fine with my older card, though. And I can't seem to get the T6i to connect with a USB cable (my previous Canon would automatically connect, so maybe there's a step I'm missing here).

I'm using Windows 10 on a PC, if that matters. Any ideas? Is there a way to transfer RAW images, not JPEGs, using the app?

Thanks,

-Trevor

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you shooting RAW+JPEG or just RAW?

Just RAW.

@tcpritchard wrote:

Hi all,

I recently bought a T6i, a 64 GB SanDisk card, and an Optex card reader. I can take photos just fine, I can transfer the RAW images from the camera to my phone as JPEGs using the Canon Camera Connect app, but I can NOT seem to get the RAW images off the camera.

Whenver I use the card reader, I get a message saying the card has to be formatted (which I obviously don't want to do). It works fine with my older card, though. And I can't seem to get the T6i to connect with a USB cable (my previous Canon would automatically connect, so maybe there's a step I'm missing here).

I'm using Windows 10 on a PC, if that matters. Any ideas? Is there a way to transfer RAW images, not JPEGs, using the app?

Thanks,

-Trevor

When you try to connect the camera or the card reader to the computer, are you using the same USB cable? If so, maybe it's the problem. Some cables don't have all the necessary conductors and are useful only for charging a cell phone or similar device.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Nope -- the card reader has its own USB connector, so it's different from the cord I'm using to connect the camera.

I was able to get the images directly off the card using a friend's Macbook, but it's weird that I can't get anything to work with my PC. 

BurnUnit
Whiz

If you've safely transferred your RAW files onto the Macbook and you know they're intact, you might give this a try. Format the card in the T6i, not in your PC. Also set the camera's calendar and clock data. A lot of people don't bother to do this and usually they don't have any issues. But certain models of certain cameras can be a bit "fussy" about it and show strange behavior like you're describing. And the owner's manual for your camera probably recommends formatting the card in-camera and there's probably a reason why. Smiley Frustrated

Have tried downloading RAW files using your older card in the new camera?

Thanks. I may have to try that and hope the card works afterwards. As for trying to download RAW images with my old camera's card, unfortunately, it was for a Rebel XTI and is much too big to fit in the T6i's slot.

ScottyP
Authority

I am not sure why you'd want RAW images on your phone. Unless there is an app I don't know about you wouldn't be able to view the RAW images on the phone.???  Are you running a mobile image processing program?

Every new Canon camera model comes with its own new version of Camera Raw. That is why you have to upgrade your Lightroom program to the newest version (or do a PITA work-around using DPP and making tiff files or something) if you buy a new model of camera after a newer version of Lightroom than yours is already out when the new camera was released. Adobe will only write a new RAW decoder for a new camera for its current version of Lightroom. 

As as for just pulling the files off, just open two windows in My Computer (or the Apple equivalent thereof).  Open the card reader in one to see all the files on the card. Open your storage file (hard drive, portable hard drive, whatever) in another window.  Highlight all the files on the card.  Drag and drop them into the storage folder.   Simple, but also foolproof.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ScottyP, I only wanted the RAW images on my phone so I could transfer THOSE (not the JPEGs) to my PC. Which has Photoshop.

Unfortunately I can't pull the files off the way you've suggested (that's the way I normally do it) because no files show up when I plug in the reader. I'm only getting the message about formatting the card and can't seem to access the files on it. And they're there, because I can transfer them wirelessly (as JPEGs) to my phone.

I assume that you go into the camera's menus and change the settings when you switch between WiFi and USB, right?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements