cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't take sharp photos with Canon 5DS

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

I recently switched from Nikon to Canon, and bought a new Canon 5DS along with the Canon 24-70 II 2.8 lens directly from Canon USA. For some strange reasons I am not able to get sharp photos with this camera and lense. Curious anyone else have the same problems, and more importantly how to adjust or correct it? The photos look sharp when not viewing at 100% sizing, however, when zoomed in at 100% it definitely not clear. To be clear, these photos were taken on stable tripod and timer, so no movement. I also using manual focus and live mode, thus I certain the photos were focused before taking the photos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lim

23 REPLIES 23

@limvo05wrote:

Per the latest test I did the other night, it seems F8 seems to provide the sharpest image. Now, trying to figure out what is the optimal focus point for 24-70 when taking landscape? Have not had times to hit the field to test. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Use the center AF point

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzlewrote:

@limvo05wrote:

Per the latest test I did the other night, it seems F8 seems to provide the sharpest image. Now, trying to figure out what is the optimal focus point for 24-70 when taking landscape? Have not had times to hit the field to test. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Use the center AF point

I think maybe he meant "What's the hyperfocal distance?"

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You are correct. What I meant was the hyperfocal length at 24 and 70. Strangely enough, I tested a couple of DOF apps from Apple Itune, different apps with same settings yields different results. Not sure which app to trust? Thoughts? Suggestions?

@limvo05wrote:

You are correct. What I meant was the hyperfocal length at 24 and 70. Strangely enough, I tested a couple of DOF apps from Apple Itune, different apps with same settings yields different results. Not sure which app to trust? Thoughts? Suggestions?

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

This one seems to be reliable.  I frequently use it to select lenses before I leave out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements