cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Trun Off AEB in Manual Mode - Canon EOS 800D

hartgh
Apprentice

I have the Canon EOS 800D, European verson of the EOS Rebel T7i. I was trying to shoot the recent eclipse in Manual mode.

I had the camera set at ISO 1000 and shutter speed 1/4000.  That was still too bright to capture the eclipse.  So I tried to set the Exposure Compensation to -7 but I couldn't change it, it was stuck on AEB, Auto Exposure Bracketing, and even when I tried using the widest range, which only went 2 1/3rd stops + and -, it didn't make three exposures and the one resulting exposure was too bright.  I spent almost the entire eclipse trying to turn off the AEB, including in the menu, but could never get it turned off.

It seems ridiculous that in manual mode this can't be turned off!  Does anyone know how it might be done?

6 REPLIES 6

zakslm
Enthusiast

hartgh,

Try pressing the "Menu" button  and navigating to the screen where you see"Clear Settings", press the "Set" button and go to "Clear All Camera Settings" and pres "OK". 

That should clear any settings you've changed and put the camera back in "neutral".

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I'm not sure if you did this, but this is the way it works on our T7i . AEB should disable when you turn off the Camera. To disable during shooting, you have to either go into the Expo.comp/AEB menu (Shoot 2), press "Set" and adjust your AEB spread to "0" by turning the main dial (just behind the shutter button) counter clockwise as you are looking at the back of the camera. When it gets to 0, AEB is disabled. You can also do this by pressing the "Q" button and tapping the Exposure compensation scale, then turning main dial.

As far as I know, it will not automatically snap off the three shots unless you use the timer or use continuous shooting and hold the shutter down. It will stop after the three exposures are taken in continuous. I suspect that is why you just got one bright shot.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Ah!  I think you are on to something.

Perhaps the OP didn't take the 2nd & 3rd shots of the bracket sequence?  Maybe take 2 more photos?

@zakslm wrote:

Ah!  I think you are on to something.

Perhaps the OP didn't take the 2nd & 3rd shots of the bracket sequence?  Maybe take 2 more photos?

Correct. But it's best done from a tripod with a remote shutter release. I've always used the timer, which will fire off the three shots 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I certainly hope you did not take an image of the eclipse with no filter. That is a good way to damage your camera or lens. You can burn a hole through the shutter!

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-camera-gear-destroyed-by-the-solar-eclipse-of-2017/

In any case, you would want a *low* ISO, not a high one to make the camera less sensitive.

My typo mistake.  It was set at ISO 100.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements