cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can back button focus be set up on the new 5D MK IV?

dadmoose
Apprentice

I would like to know if back button focus can be set up on the new 5D MK IV.  If so how. I used C-FN IV on my 5D MK II.

4 REPLIES 4

@dadmoose wrote:

I would like to know if back button focus can be set up on the new 5D MK IV.  If so how. I used C-FN IV on my 5D MK II.

As it happens, the 5D Mark IV instruction manual is already posted on Canon's Web site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the reply.  Actually I had downloaded the manual on Thursday the day I received my MK !V.  However I have yet to find how you would activate back button focus.  I checked out the C.FN menus bit was not able to locate anything about back button focus such as in C.FN IV on both the Mark II and Mark III.

If you have any ideas where I might find out about this please let me know.  I appreciate your time and help.  I can't believe that Canon would not make this available.  After all they were the first ones to develop it in 1989.  It is on the flagship 1DX and I believe on the new 1DX MK II.

Thanks again

John

@dadmoose wrote:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the reply.  Actually I had downloaded the manual on Thursday the day I received my MK !V.  However I have yet to find how you would activate back button focus.  I checked out the C.FN menus bit was not able to locate anything about back button focus such as in C.FN IV on both the Mark II and Mark III.

If you have any ideas where I might find out about this please let me know.  I appreciate your time and help.  I can't believe that Canon would not make this available.  After all they were the first ones to develop it in 1989.  It is on the flagship 1DX and I believe on the new 1DX MK II.

Thanks again

John

I think your problem may be that while we routinely call it "back-button focus", Canon doesn't. They refer only to the "AF-On" button. The indes refers you to pages 58, 496, and 498.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert,

Thanks again. Actually I found it on page 495 but not because the manual is clear.  I looked through all the C.FN once again and then noticed a blank page for notes on p. 494(shows up on the left of the PDF file).  Following that is a page titled Custom controls and that is where I found the the ability to asign the AF-ON button to be the back button focus as on my old Canon.  You would think they would have put it under C.FN 3 in the manual on PP 489-490. However they put it after C.FN4 even though you access it in C.FN3.  P. 496, which I did go to after looking in the index contains nothing on setting the AF-ON button.

Actually I think that is why people go out and buy books that explain the controls better than the manual.

I do appreciate your help.

All best wishes

John

Announcements