cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera upgrade recommendations from EOS Rebel T100

Auntiebush12
Apprentice

My 14 year old son recently bought himself an EF 70-200 lens for his Canon Rebel T100. He is taking photos of his friends high school sports teams (action shots). I would like to surprise him for his birthday with an upgraded body. Any suggestions for not breaking the bank. Maybe under 1,000. He says the rebel t100 is not great. 

21 REPLIES 21

Thank you for all your knowledge. I will definitely include him. 

Thank you, and if he requires further advice he can revisit the forum, or contact me via a PM.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Auntiebush12 wrote:

Thank you for all your knowledge. I will definitely include him. 

There is nothing more fun than a shopping spree for things that you love.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Aunttiebush12,

I will admit. I own a T81 and like it very much.

You could look at one of those and a 55-250mm IS STM lens, which weighs a whole lot less than a 70-200.

Trevor's suggestion of an R10 is also a good one, along with his suggestion that you include your son in the decision-making process.

Steve Thomas

I was considering different lenses too, but I don't have enough data about what kinds of sports under what conditions to be able to decide.  For reasonably close-quarter sports, the 55-250STM might work but it will struggle in the low light of indoor sports.  For even more reach the excellent EF 70-300IS USM MkII would be a great unit, with super fast focus but, again, not sure about low light, or even for large field events like soccer.  For that we need more data, I think.  Which takes me back to the OP's son getting involved, so we know what he would most benefit from and value.
Given  his purchase of the 70-200, I suspect he is shooting in lower light, perhaps closer in like basketball or ice hockey, or even field sports under lights.  That's just me speculating...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The only DSLR bodies I would recommend are the 90D and 6D2.  Checking the Canon Online Refurbished Store shows the R10 package is still in stock.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r10-rf-s18-45mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm-lens-kit 

Both the 90D and 6D2 are out of stock.  I agree with the others, though.  The R10 is a good way to go.  The performance is superior to the T8i and probably even the 90D.  Buy a spare battery and the EF-RF mount adapter by Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

March411
Enthusiast

As Waddizzle noted the 90D is a very good camera and new they are available direct but slightly over your budget. I own one and it has been excellent for wildlife and sports photography. I have many EF lenses and don't want to spend the money to upgrade to mirrorless at this point as my DSLR's perform very well for my applications.

Quality EF lenses will be available through the used market and there are many reputable resellers (KEH) that offer extended warranties. One consideration if you purchase a DSLR is after purchase support. I have a local Canon repair center located right near my home that is very reliable.

Good luck and kudos for supporting the kids passion for photography!

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Auntiebush12 are you as confused now or perhaps even more so after reading all that. I would be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think the main takeaway, which she seems to have taken on board, is to involve her son in the buying process.  Our site generally focuses on the technology, but for issues like this we need to step outside and consider that the critical element is not so much a camera issue per se, as an interpersonal or purchase process one - which I know  you understand.   It would be really tough on both of them if she spent her budget on something that it turned out her son didn't really want for one reason or another. 
I think we would all be in a difficult position if someone we loved bought something that was totally unsuitable. 

Many years ago, not long after arriving in Canada, I met my mother-in-law and she gave me a very expensive sweater after I said I needed to get something warm for the Canadian winter.  The trouble was it was NOT my colour (it was like she would wear) and looked awful on me.  Rather than tell her that and potentially hurt her feelings, I dutifully wore it a few times before retiring it.
I would suspect we all have similar tales to tell.

cheers, TREVOR

Lol, absolutely. Hopefully he will do his research because this is out of my league.

Announcements