cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera recommendations for beginner photographer

Moose13
Apprentice

Hi! Just putting a post up, I am a beginner, photographer, and I mostly want to capture landscape/nature photos. I have a limit of about $500-$600 to spend. Just wondering what camera would be right for me. Thanks :)) Also, any beginner tips are appreciated.🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Issues with SDXC memory cards being used in Rebels seems limited to only the “entry level” ####D bodies, but not the “advanced beginner” ###D Rebel bodies like the T6I, T7I, T8i, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

The M50 Mark II and the EOS M series is a dying series likely getting replaced by the RF Mount APS-C cameras. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Unless Canon is prepared to make major adjustments to its pricing of RF mount cameras, there will be no replacement for the M50 with an RF mount. There is a far greater gap between the M50 and the R10 in terms of price than there is in terms of capability. And even if I did think the M50 was going to be discontinued soon, I wouldn't consider it a bad investment. (And even if what you say were to come true, it doesn't justify recommending a T7 to someone who indicates they can afford an M50 at the present time.)

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

The EF-M mount is dead. No more investment is being put into. All funds have gone to the RF Mount. You'll be stuck in a dead system and no where to go when your gear fails. You have to start all over again.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I take good care of my equipment, so I wouldn't expect anything to fail, though even if something does there is enough critical mass of M50 users out there that I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a used or refurbished replacement. I wouldn't expect additional EF-M lenses even if Canon does intend to continue making the M50, as I think what's available covers most of what people buying a camera in its price range would need. Most M50 users who end up with more than a couple lenses usually acquire some EF or EF-S lenses (I have two of those in addition to my 4 EF-M lenses), so those at least will be portable to future platforms, should they someday have the need and be able to justify moving up to a higher-end system.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

amatula15
Enthusiast

Hi,

I purchased a Rebel SL1, perfect for my petite hands.  I had it for 6+ years before finally purchasing a full-frame (Canon RP).  I am a landscape photographer who used my camera in rough conditions, using tree branches and rocks near water as natural tripods and shooting in rain (infrequently but I did and quickly dried it with a cloth). It excelled and I have some really great images from that camera!

I did upgrade my lens though to the Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, which had excellent image quality. 

Everyone has different tastes though, so perhaps you can demo something from a local camera shop or friend and see how you like it.  That's how I decided on the SL1.

Whatever camera you get, I hope you enjoy it

Announcements