cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CP filter + lens hood?

illininutt
Enthusiast

I have a T3I and wonder if most on here use both at the same time or one or the other.  It seems as if the CP filter would be hard to turn with the hood on!?

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Use both.  It is just the way it is with most set ups.

A few hoods have a sliding window that allows you to turn the CP filter.  Most do not !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@illininutt wrote:

I have a T3I and wonder if most on here use both at the same time or one or the other.  It seems as if the CP filter would be hard to turn with the hood on!?

Buy an inexpensive 3rd party lens hood, and cut a small slot at the bottom so you can turn the CP with the lens hood on.

The newest Canon lens hoods have a slot with a door to allow you to adjust your CP.

lens-hood-ew-83d-300x300

@TTMartin wrote:

@illininutt wrote:

Buy an inexpensive 3rd party lens hood, and cut a small slot at the bottom so you can turn the CP with the lens hood on.

The newest Canon lens hoods have a slot with a door to allow you to adjust your CP.

lens-hood-ew-83d-300x300

Note the significance of the phrase "with a door". If you cut a hole in the lens hood and don't provide a way to close it off, you tend to defeat the purpose of the hood. Depending on the direction of the light, you might even make things worse than if you didn't use the hood.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@illininutt wrote:

lens-hood-ew-83d-300x300

Note the significance of the phrase "with a door". If you cut a hole in the lens hood and don't provide a way to close it off, you tend to defeat the purpose of the hood. Depending on the direction of the light, you might even make things worse than if you didn't use the hood.

I agree don't have the slot towards the light source.

As long as the slot is at the bottom of the hood and away from the light source it is unlikely that there would be any negative effect. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I have the new 100-400mm with the sliding door in the hood.  If you align the red dots when attaching the hood then the door is at the bottom of the lens - making it easier for your fingers to reach when supporting the lens from below and it's also unlikely that any bright light would shine in from below the lens.  

I noticed the new 70-200mm has the new type of hood (with the small button to release) but it doesn't have the door.

Using both a CPL and a hood is difficult to manage because it makes it very difficult to tune the CPL and you can't easily do it quickly.  So I tend to pre-tune the the CPL for the direction I'm facing (the optimum tuning is based on the angle of reflection that you'll get mostly off the sun.  So if you're shooting in a particular direction from where you're standing, most shots will all have the same tuning.

But I don't always use the hood.  Often I just put the CPL on, tune it and if there's any sunlight that could strike the front of the filter, then I'll shield the filter with something if it's on a tripod (more difficult to do while hand-holding).  

Ultimately you just want to avoid allowing direct sunlight to shine on the glass.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements