cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF card will not format

BrianB
Contributor
I just bought a used d50 it came with no cf card so I bought a Lexar professional 32 GB udma and a San Disk Extreme 64 GB udma7 when I put the sandisk in and try to formate the camera says can not formate card change card. And when I put the Lexar card in, the camera wont even turn on. can you tell me if I got a bad camera or is it a problem with it not being able to read those bigger cards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BrianB wrote:
Thats what I was hoping the problem was I will try lower capacity cards thank you will a filmware update help the problem

A firmware update will not upgrade the older hardware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
First, very sorry to read of your fire tragedy.

But, there are options, depending on where you live.

1. Camera store nearby where they could help

2. Photography related friends or a local camera club

3. Anyone with a computer where you could format a card.

When you format the card be sure to choose FAT32. You can do that on a PC or a Mac. It’s possible that the large cards you have are EX-FAT. The firmware update is most likely updating your camera so it can read EX-FAT.

If you buy the small cheap card at Staples or Wal-Mart it would be FAT32.

Based on all the equipment you had, I’m sure you know that a digital camera is pretty much useless without a computer, so you will need to go there sooner rather than later.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

BrianB
Contributor
Yes I know I need to buy a computer I'm just alittle pissy about buying a camera that doesnt work. and I'm in california the walmart and staples in town dont have any cf cards and best buy only has 32 and 64 GB cards

I also feel for your loss.  Smiley Sad

From what you said you are more than just a simple hobbyist.

But I have one burning question, you bought an EOS 50D (not d50) for your first shot at Canon as a brand? A 10 year old used camera?

I can only suggest you use a Windows machine to try and format a CF card.  I know it works. I do not know that using a Mac also works. Since I personally have not done so.  Mac's are screwy but maybe it will work, too.

If the 50D does not see a pre-formatted CF card something else is wrong with it. I would urge you to seriously consider returning it and buying a more current camera.

If you bought an 80D or 90D, I am sure you would never miss those Nikon's ever again.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BrianB
Contributor
I bought a used camera because Im retired now and do not plan on replacing all of the equipment that I lost. Just needed something so I dont feel naked

You may have bought a broken camera.  Try a pre-formatted CF card or return the camera. Is there a local camera shop you can go to?

EB

BrianB
Contributor
All of the camera stores in the area have all closed

"Try a pre-formatted CF card"

Do you have a friend that has a Windows computer?  Get them to format you a CF card.  This is your only, easiest route to find out if the camera is OK.

EB

BrianB
Contributor
Yes I do and thank you for the help

BrianB
Contributor
It turns out that the camera has a couple of bad pins so its going to where I bought it. Thanks everyone for helping me out
Announcements