cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF card will not format

BrianB
Contributor
I just bought a used d50 it came with no cf card so I bought a Lexar professional 32 GB udma and a San Disk Extreme 64 GB udma7 when I put the sandisk in and try to formate the camera says can not formate card change card. And when I put the Lexar card in, the camera wont even turn on. can you tell me if I got a bad camera or is it a problem with it not being able to read those bigger cards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BrianB wrote:
Thats what I was hoping the problem was I will try lower capacity cards thank you will a filmware update help the problem

A firmware update will not upgrade the older hardware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Irregardless it makes " UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012" work better or at all. You may choose to play with words but the OP needs to update the FW.

"...AFMA does not make a lens sharper."  It doesn't it simply moves the focus point in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BrianB
Contributor
Ok so I just received an 8GB and a 4GB CF cards and still when I put one in the camera and turn on the power and try to format the card it still says can not format change card

You performed the firmware update? Or have the 1.0.9 firmware?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

"...it still says can not format change card"

If you format the CF card with a Windows computer, not a Mac, does the camera see it?  Or, does the camera see any CF card at all?  It didn't have one when you bought it?

You may have a problem beyond the FW which you do need to update.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BrianB
Contributor
No it just has firmware ver. 1.0.3

Look at message 5 above. You need to update firmware. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

BrianB
Contributor
Ok I will do that, thank you
Brian Baker

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“Look at message 5 above. You need to update firmware.”

May have to do that by wire.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes. Will need to use EOS Utility.

Another option is to buy a small lowest price CF card from a place like Staples or Wal-Mart. Small, slow CF cards won't be UDMA7 and then you could load firmware update on the small card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

BrianB
Contributor
It did not come with a cf card. I have not tried to format a card on a computer because I lost my computer, 5 nikons a hassalblad and all of my studio lighting and equipment when my house burnt down. So I thought I try a canon for the first time. and so far it looks like that was a bad choice. Now it appears I've got to buy a computer so I can update the filmware to try and get this camera to work.
Announcements