cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF and CFexpress cards

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Anyone have a reputable source of discounted high-quality, dependable CF and CFexpress cards?  Seems like the prices are skyrocketing faster and at higher rates than gasoline in San Francisco.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Chris,

I wouldn't buy them from anybody except a known supplier (i.e. B&H) or a trusted brick and mortar electronics supplier.  Memory cards are some of the most highly counterfeited items in the world and online sellers (this includes the really big providers of goods of all types) are not good about keeping counterfeit items out of their system. 

I run a lot of photos through mine but very rarely actually remove the card from the camera.  I shoot most sports events with two 1DX II and one 1DX III body and the only time I pull the card is when I need to put one in the PC card reader to transfer a firmware update to the camera body.  Otherwise, file transfer is done with the ethernet ports and all of these cameras are using the cards I bought when I bought the camera body.  Each of my 1 series have both slots filled and I do rotate which slot is written to and I format in camera prior to an event if the card is down to less than roughly 50% left but that is it for my card maintenance.  SD cards have a more rugged mechanical interface and I am less worried about flipping these cards in and out (which is what I do with my 5DS series bodies but they don't get nearly the heavy use of the 1 series).

I don't shoot video with my 1 series bodies so I have never come close to filling a card at an event.  Cards don't last forever but you don't need to constantly rotate them and the reliability will be higher leaving them in place.  They are expensive so I treat them well, it takes a lot of photography use before the card is going to have issues from write fatigue.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Chris,

I wouldn't buy them from anybody except a known supplier (i.e. B&H) or a trusted brick and mortar electronics supplier.  Memory cards are some of the most highly counterfeited items in the world and online sellers (this includes the really big providers of goods of all types) are not good about keeping counterfeit items out of their system. 

I run a lot of photos through mine but very rarely actually remove the card from the camera.  I shoot most sports events with two 1DX II and one 1DX III body and the only time I pull the card is when I need to put one in the PC card reader to transfer a firmware update to the camera body.  Otherwise, file transfer is done with the ethernet ports and all of these cameras are using the cards I bought when I bought the camera body.  Each of my 1 series have both slots filled and I do rotate which slot is written to and I format in camera prior to an event if the card is down to less than roughly 50% left but that is it for my card maintenance.  SD cards have a more rugged mechanical interface and I am less worried about flipping these cards in and out (which is what I do with my 5DS series bodies but they don't get nearly the heavy use of the 1 series).

I don't shoot video with my 1 series bodies so I have never come close to filling a card at an event.  Cards don't last forever but you don't need to constantly rotate them and the reliability will be higher leaving them in place.  They are expensive so I treat them well, it takes a lot of photography use before the card is going to have issues from write fatigue.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I use Prograde Digital Cobalt 325 cards in my 1D X Mark III.

I agree with Rodger; I only buy from the manufacturer. 3 year warranty. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements