cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 250d (sl3) vs used canon 6d mark1

KhayaZondo
Apprentice

Hello there! After years of being a enthusiast for photography, i now have a (limited) budget to get myself a dslr camera. İ am now in a dilemma, could go get a 250d with 18-55 stm brand new or a used canon 6d. İ plan to get 50mm 1.8 lens straightaway no matter which camera. My ultimate focus will be astrophotography but i'll also do portraits, scenes and street photography. İ'll also be happy to hear about your budget friendly lens recommendations.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon SL3 vs Canon 6D Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

An advantage to the SL3 is that there are more inexpensive lens available for it (the Canon EF-S series of lenses). Plus it will come with a lens right now. If you get the 6D you won't be able to use it until you get the 50mm.

When you say "astrophotography" are you planning deep space or star trails/Milky Way? For the latter a popular lens is the Irix 15mm. I use that for my shoots.

If your budget allows consider the 6D plus a refurb version of the Canon 24-105 STM lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Go with John's first recommendation.  The SL3 is more versatile.  Although I would typically choose FF, the SL3 beats the 6D in several key categories:

Weight

MP's

Articulating screen

SL3 is 3 yrs old, vs 6D 8yrs old.

Your intended use, the SL3 is a wiser investment between these two.  It has a Canon warranty as well.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

SL3 all the way. Newer tech is almost always best. I was never a fan of the 6D 1 besides.

The 50mm lens is a good portrait lens for the SL3. Not so good on a 6D 1.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

just keep in mind the SL3 is a crop sensor and any lens will be magnified by 1.6x so a 50 will behave more like 80mm.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Given those two choices, the SL3 is probably a better choice for astrophotography on a telescope. The full frame 6D is probably the better choice for portraits and street photography because of its better low light capabilities.  

But, a good argument could be made for using the smaller camera for street photography.  Sometimes you do not want to look like Joe “The Pro” Photographer..

You may also find better choices with a slightly bigger budget, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements