cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Lines in Canon 5D Mk IV photos, video + live view

SasquatchLives
Contributor

Hey community,

I've been experiencing an issue with one of my company cameras, Canon Mk IV, where thin horizontal black lines show up in images from time to time. Very randomly, can shoot 10 - 50 photos without and issue, and then there it will be again. It is seen in Live View every 1 - 3 seconds, and video every 1-3 seconds (so the defect / artifact) is seen in Live View is translating onto the captured video itself. Anyone know what this could be from? It's not like shutter speed + flash sync speed or banding. Just these THIN, black, horizontal lines at random.

I've attached two examples, one black line is at the top height of the photo, one is in the middle of the photo

657A8285.jpg657A8282.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Hi, SasquatchLives!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using as we've made more than one camera with the "Mark IV" designation. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks Danny, updated the post to show "5D"

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello SasquatchLives,

It's really hard to determine exactly what is happening here. I lean toward a possible sensor issue, but the line isn't always in the same place. It doesn't appear to be a banding issue caused by lighting because it's a single line. You may want to try a few tests outdoors under strong daylight to see if it's present there. In any case, you may want to have the camera evaluated at our factory service center. I would include examples such as these images with the camera if you decide to send it in.

Thank you!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Off the wall thought, but is there any significant electromagnetic equipment in the facility?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hey! It's been happening in multiple different locations and scenarios, so I don't think that's a contributing factor, only happening with this camera body too.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I lean toward a possible sensor issue, ..."

I agree. It is possibly a dead pixel row or rows. As the sensor heats up it may trigger the dead row(s).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the suggest! It sounds like something that could only be fixed by taking it in for repairs, not troubleshooting in camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Its unlikely any magnetic thing since the line is so perfectly straight. Exactly like a row of pixels.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements