cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best autofocus guide for 5DsR?

Bazsl
Rising Star

Canon has published an autofocus guide for the 1DX and another for the 7D Mark II but none for the 5Ds and 5DsR. Which of the two is closest to the 5DsR autofocus system; the 1DX guide or the 7D Mark II guide? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

The 7D Mark II is in many ways a crop-frame 5D Mark III. So I'd try the 7D2 publication first and see how well it matches the way your 5DsR works.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is the one they suggest for 5D III owners.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

It is likely the same for the 5Ds and 5DsR.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

That's one vote each so I'll read them both. 🙂 Thanks.

DaveGershon
Contributor

Having the 5DsR, 1Dx, 7D2 and the 5DIII, the 5DIII manual would be the same from a AF perspective.

rowan00
Apprentice

One shot and servo should be available regardless of the autofocus mode. However, there's a better way called "back button focus". When you have this set up, you hold a specific button on the back of the camera rather than half pressing the shutter button to focus. While the button is down, it continuously focuses like in servo mode, but as soon as you release the button it stops focusing. When in this mode, the shutter can be released without confirming focus, which is much more flexible because you can recompose the shot without having to re-focus. Additionally, on the R6 (not sure about the R) the manual focus ring stays active at all times on non-L lenses, so you can manually adjust focus without changing to manual focus mode.

Tracking focus mode can be usefull for moving subjects, but spot autofocus is also really useful when you want to focus on something specific rather than letting the camera decide. I would definitely learn how to use that one as well.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements