cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Camera? T3i? 4i? 5i? Help!

Petra
Apprentice

I'm looking at getting my first DSLR camera. Originally I was going to settle for a T2i upon recommendation from a youtuber couple I've watched for several years. After doing some research however, I then changed my mind to the T3i, primarily because of the LCD articulation. Further investigation has lead me to realize, however, that the T3i does not have any kind of auto-focus when recording, and seeing as this camera will be used extensively on my own youtube channel, such a feature would be incredibly useful. I'm an ex-college kid though with a budget of roughly $1000 (that must be divided amongst camera body, lens, any applicable filters, memory card, and case, if possible) so I feel a bit limited in alternative options.

My original camera "grocery" list looked like this:
-Canon EOS Rebel T2i 

-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens
-Hoya 52mm HMC Neutral Density ND8 Multi-Coated Glass Filter

At this point though, I'm at a complete loss of what would be best to get. Any recommendations? I intend to use it primarily for videoing, but I'd also like to use it to advance my extremely novice-level hobby of scenic photography. Any and all advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I should add that included in my budget I need to make room for an external mic since the internal mic in DSLRs are not generally adequate.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Check this out: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-t5i-18-135...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ScottyP
Authority
The 50 mm f/1.8 has a very noisy autofocus motor you may hear in your videos.

Not sure from your post why you need the ND filter.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Sorry for the lack of clarification. The ND filter is for outdoors filming with the 50mm lens.

You really want STM lenses for video.

http://www.cyberscholar.com/canon/camera/index.cfm?page=trainingCenter&product=efs_18_135mm_40mm_len...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

And for just $50 bucks more you can get a brand new one HERE.  Which will have free shipping and possibly no tax.

Whatever you do, you do not want the ef 50mm f1.8

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements