cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise for new camera: Eos RP, 6dm2 or apsc?

sampitalakamui
Apprentice

Hello everyone, I'm new here 🙂

I started a few years ago with a 1300D with lens 18-55 and it's time to upgrade.

I have limited budget (1200/1300) but for my purposes I think that it's more than enough. I'm just an amateur that like to take family pictures or bring the camera with me when I have a walk to take picture to animals, flowers and so. And I would like to switch to a full-time (however I don't know if it's worth it for my usage).

RP seems interesting, there is a bundle is canon site with camera, 24-105 STM lens, two batteries, SD, backpack with 1300 bucks. Otherwise it's easy to find used 6D mark ii with 30/40K shots a good price and in case I can purchase a 400/500$ lens.

I'm thinking about RP, i prefer the smaller size and digic 8, battery life it's not a real issue, I don't need a camera for all day usage but usually just for a couple of hours. The only thing that scares me it's the passage from reflex to mirrorless, I don't like to take pictures using the live view but only with viewfinder. Furthermore a lot of people doesn't likes RP, seems worst than 6dm2. 

So at this point I don't know if to go with the RP, the used 6dm2 or maybe reconsider to get another apsc like 90d or R10 for my kind of usage. Consider I'd like to keep this camera for next years and start to invest in lens.

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Given what you just posted: that you want to start afresh with a FF camera, and given your budget, I would suggest you go for the RP bundle that you referred to.  If you are starting afresh with a view to expanding into new lenses over time with FF, then the RP deal is a relatively cheap doorway into the FF Mirrorless market.  It is actually quite a good camera and the bundle is a good deal that fits in your price bracket along with what you need to get going.

Over time, you could consider getting the  RF100-400 lens that will then give you, in two lenses a range from 24-400mm, which should cover most of your needs and the lenses are ok for non-professional use.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

Thanks, for your insightful response.  

I suspect one issue with taking photos indoors with your 1300D is that your lenses did not have very wide apertures.  This would force you raise the ISO or lower the shutter speed to less than desirable  settings.

I think the RP might be the ticket!  If so, I would recommend picking up the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  Not only will it teach you a lot about photography, it wil also make shooting indoors a little easier.  You may still be starved for light, but you will be much better off than shooting with an entry level APS-C sensor and entry level f/3.5-5.6 lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

R10 or 90D. 

Why? Isn't better a fullframe camera?

Yes, full frame sensors tend to have more dynamic range than an APS-C sensor with the same resolution.  I pointed to those two cameras for one main reason.  Both would be compatible with any lenses you currently use with your current camera body.

Any EF-S mount lenses that you currently own would not be compatible with a full frame DSLR like the 6D2.  You could use EF-S mount lenses with the RP and a Canon mount adapter, but the images will cropped to a MUCH lower resolution compared to images captured using a full frame lens.

It would help us to help you if you clearly stated a budget, and listed what lenses you own.  It would also be good to know what you think of the performance of your current lenses and whether you would like to upgrade them.

If I were to buy a new Canon camera today, then I would prefer to buy a new MILC body over a used DSLR body.  

Thank you so much for your help.

By budget is around 1300$.

I don't have any lens, I sold 1300d+18-55 lens. I just have another 55-250 ef-s but I would like to sell and in future take a 300.

For this reason I would like to start with a basic full frame and create my lens stock in years, so in future I just have to change the body.

I would like to purchase a camera that I can use for the next 5-6 years, purchase now a basic lens and then L lens.

Consider I'm just an amateur that like to take pictures a couple of days every two weeks. Maybe a full frame is too much for me, but when I take photos inside home I don't like noise  of my basic reflex, but usually is enough my 1300d. 

I consider to take 90d or R10 for this reason, but considering the price and the future of canon camera, I think it's better to go with a RP mirrorless.

Given what you just posted: that you want to start afresh with a FF camera, and given your budget, I would suggest you go for the RP bundle that you referred to.  If you are starting afresh with a view to expanding into new lenses over time with FF, then the RP deal is a relatively cheap doorway into the FF Mirrorless market.  It is actually quite a good camera and the bundle is a good deal that fits in your price bracket along with what you need to get going.

Over time, you could consider getting the  RF100-400 lens that will then give you, in two lenses a range from 24-400mm, which should cover most of your needs and the lenses are ok for non-professional use.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks, for your insightful response.  

I suspect one issue with taking photos indoors with your 1300D is that your lenses did not have very wide apertures.  This would force you raise the ISO or lower the shutter speed to less than desirable  settings.

I think the RP might be the ticket!  If so, I would recommend picking up the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  Not only will it teach you a lot about photography, it wil also make shooting indoors a little easier.  You may still be starved for light, but you will be much better off than shooting with an entry level APS-C sensor and entry level f/3.5-5.6 lenses.

sampitalakamui
Apprentice

Thank you for your help!

Announcements