cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Appreciated: 5D Mark III Auto Focusing Issue

Q-Mama
Contributor

I'd appreciate any advice on my issue. A bit of background, I purchased a 5D Mark III brand new in November of 2016 from B&H. I have been shooting on it for 2 years with no AF issues whatsoever. I brought the camera with me to Banff on a trip and it was accidentally dropped by my friend. I sent the camera to Canon and they cleaned and recalibrated the camera and lens ($500). Please see the attached paperwork for details.

After the incident, my photos have been very blurry. I thought maybe my photography skills were rusty (I had a baby and didn't shoot for a while), so I put the camera in Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority to see if I had the same issue. My photos are still blurry. I shoot mostly outdoors in full sun. I place the focus point on the subject's eye - I even have the AF square to show where the focus point is. The photos are still blurry and not very sharp. I can sometimes get a sharp photos if I take quite a few, but nothing consistent. 

I recently tried Back Button Focus and that has helped a tiny bit, but nothing consistent. Many photos are still blurry. I shoot on One-Shot AF, Case 1, 61 points selected. I selected the nearest AF point to the eye on my subject.

Any ideas?! Thanks in advance!

Focus Point.JPG

Blurry Image.JPG

Repair Info

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Give Canon a call at (866) 261-9362 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Thanks! I did that a month ago when the issue started. It didn't help. Calling Canon today!

Announcements