cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF won't lock in 7D Mark II

Gzagt
Contributor

Canon 7D Mark II - used regularly for one year without issue; auto focus has worked perfectly.

Out of the blue, camera will not lock on subject using AF.

Camera placed on tripod

IS turned off

Various lenses tried - same result

Camera keeps searching for focus; I can hear the "clicking" noise of searching, but it never locks on subject.

If I take a photo when the image seems "in focus" in the view finder, it is still not tack sharp, even with 70-200 f2.8.

There have been no incidents to jar or bump. I am the only operator and the camera has not left the house since it operated fine.  Wondering if I could have accidentally changed some setting? Any other possible explanation before I have to send it off to Canon? 

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which AF focusing mode are you using, One Shot or AI Servo?  Have you tried a different lens?  Are you shooting through the viewfinder, or are you using LIve View?

Resetting the camera back to factory defaults should be either the first thing you do, or as a last resort if you do not want to lose all of your custom camera settings.

[EDIT]  Which AF point(s) are you using?  Try shooting at static subjects using just the center AF point and One Shot mode.  The only time my 7D2 has hunted for focus is when it either lacks sufficient contrast or sufficient light for focusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

THanks for your quick response.
Generally, I use AI Servo, but switched to One Shot to see if that helped; it did not.
I tried three different lenses; it seems to be an issue with the camera.
I tried resetting to factory settings and that did nothing to help either.
Tried shooting at a still object with 70-200 2.8 and it was not as sharp as it should be. I think it is because it does not lock on the point, but instead seems to be rapidly waffling back and forth, in and out of focus.

@Gzagt wrote:
THanks for your quick response.
Generally, I use AI Servo, but switched to One Shot to see if that helped; it did not.
I tried three different lenses; it seems to be an issue with the camera.
I tried resetting to factory settings and that did nothing to help either.
Tried shooting at a still object with 70-200 2.8 and it was not as sharp as it should be. I think it is because it does not lock on the point, but instead seems to be rapidly waffling back and forth, in and out of focus.

Do you have an air blower?  If so, take a look at the AF sensor, which is located at the bottom of the camera box.  Use the air blower to blow out the entire mirror box.  Let's hope it is just a dusty AF sensor.  If not, I suggest contacting Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tried blowing out camera box; no improvement.
Live view vs. view finder does not seem to matter either :(.

@Gzagt wrote:
Tried blowing out camera box; no improvement.
Live view vs. view finder does not seem to matter either :(.

Since LV and OVF use two entirely different focusing systems it seems like a trip to the service center might be warranted.

Check that the lens contacts in the mirror box are all fully out and don't stick if you carefully press them.Use a lens tissue or microfiber cloth on your finger tip to avoid getting body oil on the contacts.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Again, live view or viewfinder?

View finder, but I will try live view to see if the problem remains.

Announcements