cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AEB Settings Intermittent Failure- 5D Mark IV

gcrudo
Apprentice

Hi,

My 5D Mk IV has recently became erratic when shooting in my saved settings (C1-C2-C3). I have my aeb set to expose for 3 different exposures 2 steps apart. It will work fine for a time but then will revert back to only shooting 1 exposure. If I turn the dial off of one of my saved settings and put it back it will be fine again, for a while. 

My firmware is up to date. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

See this from the manual concerning Custom Functions and Bracketing auto cancel:

Screenshot 2023-10-09 195143.jpg

Thanks for the reply Bob. I do understand this regarding the canceling when powered off etc. However what is happening is not normal at all. It works fine for a few shots then stops no matter what I do. When it does do it I cannot even go back into the menu to reset. The AEB setting will not even respond to the wheel controller.

I've used this function on hundreds of shoots and it only started doing it recently. 

I'm afraid it is some intermittent circuit failure. I'm trying not to spring for a new camera right now, but it looks like I may not have a choice.

Thanks!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ I'm afraid it is some intermittent circuit failure. I'm trying not to spring for a new camera right now, but it looks like I may not have a choice. “

Digital electronics are not prone intermittent failures.  That particular mode of failure is reserved mechanisms and other things with moving parts.  If in doubt, send your camera to Canon for checkup and a possible repair.

I think you have a settings issue, though.  The custom shooting modes are frequently misunderstood.  They have an “automatic update” setting that is disabled, by default.  Keep it disabled, not unless you wish to make a change to the custom configuration.  It almost sounds like you may have “automatic update” setting enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle! I just got off the phone with Canon and they suggested resetting the camera to default settings. It's 4 years old and has a lot of mileage on it. I'll test it on a shoot tomorrow. If it acts up again I will be sending it in for repair.

@gcrudo wrote:

Thanks Waddizzle! I just got off the phone with Canon and they suggested resetting the camera to default settings. It's 4 years old and has a lot of mileage on it. I'll test it on a shoot tomorrow. If it acts up again I will be sending it in for repair.

Performing a factory reset does not reset the Custom Shooting modes.  They have their own separate reset operation within the Custom Shooting modes menus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes. I did both. Thanks again!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements