cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Golden Goodie Blast from the Past : The Canon D30

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There was a recent item from Camera Lab's Gordan Liang looking at the Canon D30 (no, not the 30D) which was released about 23 years ago.  Back in 2019, I was working on course material for a history of photography, in the process of which I was checking out a book by Tom Ang (who actually lives in my area). He had dedicated a double spread in the book to the early days of DSLRs and featured the D30:
Entry on impact of the D30 on the DSLR marketEntry on impact of the D30 on the DSLR market
Intrigued, I thought it would be great to find one as a prop for my course, so I went on line and found one on eBay for $60 from Japan UNUSED! Further inquiry elicited that the rear LCD was scratched during unpacking, so the camera was dumped in a storeroom until they were clearing out to move. With nothing to lose, I bought it and sure enough it was otherwise immaculate. I found another inoperative body with a good LCD, and got Canon to switch parts to put the two together and got them to check it - sure enough it was unused.
So, I took it out for a spin with the EF 17-40L lens and was amazed at the performance. With such big photosites, the noise was negligible, even in very low light, as this example demonstrates. Taken hand-held in available light in a very dark pumping room.
17mm, f/5.6, 1/8 sec, ISO-40017mm, f/5.6, 1/8 sec, ISO-400 17mm, f/5.6, 1/8 sec, ISO-40017mm, f/5.6, 1/8 sec, ISO-400 EF 28-135@75mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-200EF 28-135@75mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-200 EF 28-135 IS USM @ 40mm, f/8, 1/30sec, ISO-200EF 28-135 IS USM @ 40mm, f/8, 1/30sec, ISO-200

It was also interesting to see a video by the respected, and late photographer Michael Reichmann, doing a review of the camera. It is intriguing to see how it was seen at the time it was introduced. It is easy to look back in time and judge it in our contemporary context, but at the time it was the proverbial game-changer:

A lot has happened since then, but it is ironic that a piece of history like can still produce as good images as ever, and considering a lot of people post on social media that downsizes the images drastically, it is not necessarily that irrelevant.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
1 REPLY 1

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting report on a camera of days gone by. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements