cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80d lcd auto off sensor

kevins
Apprentice

Hi. I just upgraded from a 450D to an 80D. I'm into astrophotography and it's important for me to turn off the lcd when I look through the viewfinder. The 450D does this as it has a sensor underneath the viewfinder. Can anybody tell me if this is possible with the 80D with any specific menu options? I don't however see any sensor underneath the viewer on the 80D.

Before you ask I couldn't find anything in the manual - that's not to say it's not in there. 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would rotate the LCD to its closed position.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lly3988
Rising Star

Try pressing the info button a few times until the LCD turns black.

lly3988
Rising Star

You may also go to the shooting function settings screen to set the function :capture-20180522-194355.png

Thanks, I saw this but this is not the same as automatically turning off the lcd when you look through the viewfinder.

80D doesn't have the feature. So you have to do it manually.

@lly3988 wrote:

80D doesn't have the feature. So you have to do it manually.

That seems like an odd feature to omit. It almost seems as though on every X0D model they inexplicably omit one useful feature. On the 50D it was the IR sensor; on the 60D it was AFMA. (On the 70D it apparently was a circuit board rugged enough to withstand the heat of video.)

That said, why would the eyepiece sensor be useful for astrophotography? Isn't the camera always on a tripod?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, or attached to the telescope itself. However it is handy to have the lcd switch off in low light conditions so that you can see something in the viewfinder. If not it tends to overwhelm your sight.
Thanks for your reply.

Johnw1
Enthusiast
The 80D has a Live View button next to the OVF for switching between the LCD and OVF. I do have one concern though it may be a problem for you with mirror slap causing vibrations. You may want to lock up the mirror before you take a shot.

OK, thanks for that.

Announcements