cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D vs 760D

ekpreinhards
Contributor
I have limited experience with DSLRs and would like to know how the 7D compares to the 760D. Video isn't much of a priority, nor is continuous shooting. However low light performance is important to me as well as overall image quality. Not sure which camera is the better option any help would be appreciated, thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ekpreinhards wrote:
I have limited experience with DSLRs and would like to know how the 7D compares to the 760D. Video isn't much of a priority, nor is continuous shooting. However low light performance is important to me as well as overall image quality. Not sure which camera is the better option any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The ISO range is one clue to the low light performance.  If low light performance is a priority for you, then you may wish to consider a full frame sensor, either a 5D Series camera body, or a 6D Series camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am on a budget and these were the two best options at my price range as well as possibly the 60D, but thanks for the info I'll have a look.

@ekpreinhards wrote:

I am on a budget and these were the two best options at my price range as well as possibly the 60D, but thanks for the info I'll have a look.

Save up.  Buy it once.  Buy it right.  I think you will only be disappointed with an APS-C sensor body camera.  

You seem to be looking for near professional grade performance, which is something that will not get from an APS-C sensor.  Definitely not from a 60D, 7D, or a 760D.  While those are all pretty good cameras, none of them are reputed for their low noise performance.

The owners of 5D cameras tend to use their cameras a lot.  Used ones tend to show signs of wear and tear.  A 5D2 could be a good choice, as would a used 6D.  I think a refurbished 6D from Canon is your best bet.  The price goes up and down.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority

@ekpreinhards wrote:

6D. It has newer and better sensor than what 5D III has and you can find one for a good price. Above ISO 3200 you have the same dynamic range as 5D IV.

lly3988
Rising Star

If you are on a budget, will you consider the M50 which is now $699 with lens or just $629 for the body.

There is currently a $200 instant rebate on the Canon EOS M50 w/15-45mm kit.

Product Highlights

• 24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 8 Image Processor
  • 2.36m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
  • 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
  • UHD 4K and HD 720p120 Video Recording
  • Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC, Bluetooth
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
  • Extended ISO 51200, 10 fps Shooting
  • Combination 5-Axis Image Stabilization
  • EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens

Canon EOS M50 w/15-45mm $699 (Reg $899)

Ray-uk
Whiz

When you say 7D then I assume you are talking about the 7D mark 1.

The 760D shows lower noise than the 7D1 in a lot of the reviews, but the 7D1 is a much better built camera with more facilities.

A lot depends on what you are goping to be using the camera for and whether you intend to make large prints from your photographs.

One of the biggest downfalls of the 760D is that it lacks AFMA facilities (as does the 60D) so even though it has a higher megapixel count it may not be able to get the best out of your lenses. For what I use a camera I would choose the 7D1 but your requirements may be different.

If you are talking about the 7D mark 2 then there is no contest, just buy it.

@Ray-uk  Yes, I am referring to the 7D mk1. I am predominantly looking for portrait/landscape camera and I don't have the need to blow up photos to a huge scale so that's not an issue. In which case the lack of AFMA shouldn't be too large an issue? So the only advantage of the 7D in terms of image quality is detail?

Yes, for what you are going to use it for then either would suit. The 7D1 is a more rugged camera aimed at the semi professional or serious enthuiast. The 760D has things like the articulating touch screen which seems to be appreciated more by the amateur who only uses the camera occasionally.( articulating screens are more likely to fail with broken wiring or hinges)

With either camera, if you are buying "used" then make sure get one where they give you some sort of guarantee.

@ekpreinhards wrote:

@Ray-uk  Yes, I am referring to the 7D mk1. I am predominantly looking for portrait/landscape camera and I don't have the need to blow up photos to a huge scale so that's not an issue. In which case the lack of AFMA shouldn't be too large an issue? So the only advantage of the 7D in terms of image quality is detail?

To me, the lack of AFMA is a deal breaker. I'd never buy another Rebel for that reason.

The goofy thing about it is that the most expensive (i.e., "L") lenses rarely need AFMA. So the cameras that are most likely to use lenses that need AFMA are the cameras least likely to have it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements