cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D MkII Memory cards

ClydeScott58
Apprentice
Has anyone had experience (pro or con) using SD cards w/CF adapter in the CF slot of the 7D Mark II?

What about using the Canon WiFi card in a CF adapter and CF slot?
9 REPLIES 9

@ClydeScott58wrote:
Has anyone had experience (pro or con) using SD cards w/CF adapter in the CF slot of the 7D Mark II?

What about using the Canon WiFi card in a CF adapter and CF slot?

Why on Earth would you want to do that? The 7D2 has an SD slot. If you're too cheap to buy any real CF cards, then just use the SD slot. Don't ever, ever, ever use a card adapter in a camera. There are enough things that can go wrong without deliberately risking a card failure.

If you want to use the WiFi, card, put it in the SD slot, where it belongs. And use REAL CF cards in the other slot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ClydeScott58
Apprentice

I guess you miss the point here. This was a question about functionality.
To address your response w/an example...
Say you're on a photo shoot and have exceeded your available CF Card capacities, but have some extra SD media available...
the question is whether the camera can function with the SD Card in a CFadapter if that is your only readily available solution at the time.

It will function but unreliably, if it's your only option in an emergency then go for it but don't be surprised if you lose all your pictures or the camera freezes up.

As for using the wifi card in an CF adaptor I haven't a clue (or a wifi card).

The WiFi card is a pretty useless device. It only works to wirelessly tether the camera to a device (phone, Ipad etc) & you can't even touch any buttons etc on the camera while tethered or it disconnects.

See this thread for more info.     http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1467045

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for that heads-up Ray-uk. 

"Say you're on a photo shoot and have exceeded your available CF Card capacities, but have some extra SD media available..."

I think you answered your question.  You have extra SD cards?  You need extra CF cards, too.  If you prepared for running out of storage by buying an SD to CF adapter, why not just buy a real CF card?  No problems.  No issues.

You knew going in that the camera uses CF cards?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A basic rule in electronics says that reliability is inversely proportional to the number of connectors in a circuit. This is because connectors, by their nature, are prone to failure and problems due to movement, being dislodged, vibration, temperature changes, contamination, corrosion, wear  ...

By using a card adapter, you double the number of connections between card and camera, therefore doubling the potential for problems.

@Steves_8wrote:

A basic rule in electronics says that reliability is inversely proportional to the number of connectors in a circuit. This is because connectors, by their nature, are prone to failure and problems due to movement, being dislodged, vibration, temperature changes, contamination, corrosion, wear  ...

By using a card adapter, you double the number of connections between card and camera, therefore doubling the potential for problems.

That's only the beginning. The smaller micro cards are more difficult to manufacture, have much smaller tolerances, and are likely to have more difficulty dissipating heat. When you're dealing with a device that's clearly on the critical path, it makes no sense to take unnecessary risks.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"That's only the beginning."

I only have one camera left that even uses a SD card.  Fortunately even it has a CF slot.  I don't and never did like SD cards.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements