cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II writes to wrong card

kitmos
Contributor

I bought a 7D mark II and have had an ongoing problem. I have it set to write to Card 1 (CF Card) first and when full to card 2 (SD Card). Several times I pulled the CF Card and put it in my computer but it was blank. When I put the SD card in the card reader my photos are on it. I sent it to Canon and they said there was nothing wrong with it. When I got it back I double checked the settings (correct) it was OK for awhile but then reverted back to writing to the sd card and ignoring the CF card. Having spent $30 to UPS it to them I'm reluctant spendvanother $30 to send it back again.

28 REPLIES 28


@kitmos wrote:

I bought a 7D mark II and have had an ongoing problem. I have it set to write to Card 1 (CF Card) first and when full to card 2 (SD Card). Several times I pulled the CF Card and put it in my computer but it was blank. When I put the SD card in the card reader my photos are on it. I sent it to Canon and they said there was nothing wrong with it. When I got it back I double checked the settings (correct) it was OK for awhile but then reverted back to writing to the sd card and ignoring the CF card. Having spent $30 to UPS it to them I'm reluctant spendvanother $30 to send it back again.


I think you may have tripped over a problem I've complained about several times. With the setting you describe (failover to the other card when the current card is full), if you remove the current card, the camera switches to the other card and stays there, even if you put the original card back in. I've seen it happen on my 5D3, even with the camera turned off. You have to go back to the menu and set it up again.

 

My wife has a 7D2, and it does have the same issue. I haven't bothered to verify that its behavior is identical to that of the 5D3 in all circumstances, but I strongly suspect that it is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Robert. I'm going to call Canon today and I'll mention this.

Hi Robert,

I just talked to Canon and was told that if I have it set to Auto Switch from Card 1 to Card 2 and then pull the 1st card out to download photos the 7d will switch to Card 2. It will stay on card 2 even when you put Card 1 back in. So you have to reset the menu pref each time or set on Standard. If you turn your camera off before pulling the card this is not supposed to happen. However I always turn my 7d off when changing cards etc.

Seems like a really stupid design to me that should be fixed in firmware. I assume that this applies to all dual card Canons...

 

Cheers, Kit

 


@kitmos wrote:

Hi Robert,

I just talked to Canon and was told that if I have it set to Auto Switch from Card 1 to Card 2 and then pull the 1st card out to download photos the 7d will switch to Card 2. It will stay on card 2 even when you put Card 1 back in. So you have to reset the menu pref each time or set on Standard. If you turn your camera off before pulling the card this is not supposed to happen. However I always turn my 7d off when changing cards etc.

Seems like a really stupid design to me that should be fixed in firmware. I assume that this applies to all dual card Canons...

 

Cheers, Kit

 


I have definitely had it happen to me (on my 5D3) with the camera turned off while the card was out. However, I can't swear that it's happened every time when the camera was off. It certainly happens every time if the camera is on. The behavior is counterintuitive, and I agree that it should be fixed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

So now I'm pissed. I've set it to standard so that it doesn't autoswitch from card 1 to card 2. After shooting yesterday I pulled card 1 out and it's blank. Card 2 has my photos and the menu has changed to writing to card 2. And I'm the only one to use this camera.


@kitmos wrote:

So now I'm pissed. I've set it to standard so that it doesn't autoswitch from card 1 to card 2. After shooting yesterday I pulled card 1 out and it's blank. Card 2 has my photos and the menu has changed to writing to card 2. And I'm the only one to use this camera.


Did you actually set it to Card 1, or did you assume that it would default to using Card 1 first? In the menu there should be an arrow pointing to the card it intends to use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I definately set to card 1. I've had to do this several times now. It's so frustrating because it doesn't happen everytime.

Calling Canon again tomorrow.

 

Cheers, Kit

 

I no longer have any 5 series or any 7 series cameras as I have sold all of them in favor of 1 series.  But I strongly suggest you never remove a CF or SD card while the camera is still in the "on" position.

I don't remember now about the 5 or 7 series but a 1 series shows which card it is writing to on the lower LCD of the camera. Easy to tell what is what.  Sorry I am of no more help but do make a habit of turning the camera off before removing the cards.

I am surprised Canon didn't make that admonishment when you talked with them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm talking to Canon now and he is able to duplicate the problem but says that is just the way it is. But I still maitain this is a really stupid design flaw in the 7d mkii firmware. 

I can't believe that no one else has complained about this.

Avatar
click here to view the press release
Announcements