cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D image recovery issue

kittybiscuit88
Contributor

hello all

I had a photoshoot today with several hundred photos.  I previewed them as i was shooting and then scrolled through them in camera when I got home.  Later, I tried viewing my card in LR and only a handful of photos are there, others say 'preview unavailable.'  I put the card back in my camera and the same handful of images are available but all of the others say 'cannot playback image.'

I know there are recovery softwares out there.  My question...  which one is most legit?  I'm panicking here.  My card is an Ultra 32gb Sandisk.  

Also, what happened?  Any idea?  I've used this card before and I don't understand why i can see 5-6 images but not the rest. I didn't change any settings - what did I screw up?  Is there any hope?

I don't want to try the recovery until I have a good plan.  I'm worried I will damage my card further or something.

Thanks,

Melissa

13 REPLIES 13

Ray-uk
Whiz

Sandisk have their own recovery software which they give away free when you purchase some sandisk card but almost any recovery program will work, all the programs that I have tried give you the option to see what can be recovered without writing to the card so you don't need to worry about further data loss.

I can't say what has caused your problem but the only time I had similar trouble was when I deleted indiviual pictures whilst the card was in the camera. I don't do that anymore, I simply download all the pics to my PC then reformat the card in the camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things right up front.  Don't use the card again.  Don't format the card. Now why did it happen?  Who knows but all SD cards are prone to failure without warning.  One reason to not use such a large card. I normally use 16GB cards. I always use two to four cards on an important shoot which is nearly all of what I do.

D/l the Sandisk recovery software.  It will recover what it can. However, if the file was corrupted in the shooting and/or writing to the SD card process, they are probably lost.  What could be recovered will not be usable anyway.

The Sandixk recovery software is very good, plus you can call Sandisk and ask for help. Recoverit is another program that works well.  Recoverit will not do further damage if you try it. It will even recover deleted files or photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

SanDisk has its own, Recuva is free and easy, Photorec is free and open source but you will work in CMD window and for people that haven't used CMD window before a tutorial is the best to follow.

kittybiscuit88
Contributor
Thanks everyone. My plan is to try the Sandisk recovery later tonight. I can’t imagine that the files were corrupted as I was shooting since I could see the pictures and hour later from my camera display, but I don’t know for sure. I’m going to buy 16gb and lower going forward!

Trying to stay hopeful!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kittybiscuit88 wrote:

hello all

I had a photoshoot today with several hundred photos.  I previewed them as i was shooting and then scrolled through them in camera when I got home.  Later, I tried viewing my card in LR and only a handful of photos are there, others say 'preview unavailable.'  I put the card back in my camera and the same handful of images are available but all of the others say 'cannot playback image.'

I know there are recovery softwares out there.  My question...  which one is most legit?  I'm panicking here.  My card is an Ultra 32gb Sandisk.  

Also, what happened?  Any idea?  I've used this card before and I don't understand why i can see 5-6 images but not the rest. I didn't change any settings - what did I screw up?  Is there any hope?

I don't want to try the recovery until I have a good plan.  I'm worried I will damage my card further or something.

Thanks,

Melissa

There is nothing wrong with that card.  The only potential problem is if you are using a micro-SD card.  Never use those.  Be sure to always perform a low level format in the camera prior to first use.

Memory cards have been known to fail.  I would never allow an editor to access my original files stored on the memory card.  You should always copy them off the card to another location for editing and viewing.

I wish you the best of luck with recovery software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kittybiscuit88
Contributor
Thanks. I misspoke when I said I was going straight into LR. I was just trying to put on my computer so I could then go to Lr. And it’s not a micro SD card.

"I was just trying to put on my computer so I could then go to Lr."

If you would like some unsolicited advice from an old photographer,may I suggest?  If you choose to use LR, which I highly recommend you do, try to do all your photographic work inside LR.  Do nothing outside of LR. LR doesn't not like it when you do moves or copy/pasting outside of the software.  Do all you imports and exports from LR.  All you edits even when you use a 3rd party program try to use it as a plug-in from LR.  If this is impossible do another import when you finish the edits. Basic thing is to keep all your photographic work inside or from LR.  LR and you will be very much more happy!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kittybiscuit88
Contributor
Hello everyone! I recovered my pictures. Past me was smart and saved the Sandisk recovery subscription details from the packaging! Worked like a charm. I have no idea what happened but safe to say I will not use this card again and I will never delete in camera again in case that is what caused this issue. Finally, I can stop feeling like I’m going to puke. Thanks for all the responses!

I love a happy ending Melissa!  Glad to hear the images are safe.

And Ray thanks for your note about the failure you experienced.  I very rarely delete anyting from a card while it is in the camera but I will make sure not to do that at all in the future just to be safe.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements