cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d water damage?

7vn
Apprentice

Hi,

I took my 6d out today and unfortunately it got splashed by water. It was on when it happned and the top lcd screen read "busy". Seeing that, I turned off the camera, and removed the battery along with the sd card. I have it in  rice at the moment and Im really worried about it being damaged. Has anyone had a similar experience? What could I expect and if damaged how much would the repair be?

Thank You!

2 REPLIES 2

Skirball
Authority

Assuming a lens was on it, getting splashed by water shouldn't affect it.  The depends, of course, on what you mean by "splashed".  There is some amount of weather sealing on the 6D, and even without it I've never had any issues with my 450D which has been "splashed" by water many times.  It's possible you hit something in your haste and the "buSY" is unrelated to water. Or perhaps it is.  Regardless, you're doing the right thing.  Give it a couple days in rice just to be sure, and then give it a try.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whatever you do, don't try it or turn it on until you are certain it is dry.  I would forget the rice idea and go for a warm heating pad.  Sit it on that for several days.  Warm not hot!  Too many downsides to the rice idea.

Water "splashed" on a 6D should not hurt it.  Getting it wet does.  It isn't that well sealed. If it was just splashed on it I wouldn't even worry and go ahead and use it.  So, was it splashed or did it actually get wet?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements