cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d mk2 action focus with horses

Evh515093
Apprentice

Hey guys, what do you recommend for the focus mode while shooting horses moving quick around barrels?    I tried the auto focus selections and it mainly focused on the horse rather the rider. What pointer do you have for better focusing? What mode would work best?  Does live mode face detection work pretty well with fast moving objects?   

I use back button focus method. 

6d mk2 70-200 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What focal length(s) are you using?  How far away are you from the riders?  Which AF Points Mode do you currently have selected?  Should I assume that you are using AI Servo focusing?

How are you determining where the locked AF point is located?  Could post a sample photo of the issue?

With sufficient DoF, it may not make a whole lot of difference whether the camera focuses on the horse’s head or the rider’s head.  If the camera is switching to the horse, it sounds like you are shooting from some distance away from the action.  

If you are not already using it, I recommend trying 9-Pt AF mode, which limits where the camera will focus.  Those 9 AF points need to cover the rider’s head and torso.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My preference for this type work, actually did it a few times, is Av mode, one center focus point, One shot (not Ai-servo) and spot metering. Outdoors usually no exposure problems so select an ISO on the lower side. Inside can be a problem if lighting is poor which it usually is, so high ISO for sure. I generally prefered my ef 70-200mm F2.8L lens. But my Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport is also a good choice.

"I use back button focus method." Not necessary and I would not use it. Put the single center focus point on the main most important thing in you shot. Perhaps it is the rider in one and maybe the horse in another. Whatever! Make it the main most important thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does live mode face detection work pretty well with fast moving objects?"

You can turn this on or off as needed. Try it. If the rider's face is the main most important thing turn it on. However, you can do the very same thing with just the center single focus point. Put it on the person's face!

"I tried the auto focus selections and it mainly focused on the horse rather the rider."

This is because you gave the camera several choices for focus. Don't do that. It will try to focus on the closest thing to the camera mostly. The horse is bigger so it is more easy for the camera to see it. You decide what the focus point should be. This is a situation where practice with the gear and knowledge of the sport comes in to play. Also where you shoot from is very important.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your best bet is to go old school. Lock focus on the barrel, and then anticipate the action. 

Announcements