cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Wifi Continuous Connection

mehmetbozatli
Contributor

Hi,

I have a 6D mounted on the ceiling... I have it set up to connect to my wifi router, and I have it plugged into a wall outlet.

I use eos utility to connect to it and do my remote shooting..

sometimes the camera will stay connected for days, sometimes the connection will have  dropped when I get back into work the next day.

I want the connection TO ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE...

otherwise I have to climb up the ladder, remote access my desktop from my phone, reset the wifi on the camera, and pair on the desktop from my remote app, in order to get back to shooting... it's dangerous and annoying.

any work-arounds?

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If you need a network security camera, then I suggest that you use a PoE powered network camera. There are wireless solutions that you could use, but for your distances why bother.

Get an IP camera, a PoE network switch, and run a CAT6 cable to it.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mehmetbozatli
Contributor
This is a camera for product photography - it needs to be on the ceiling because the product is large.

Product photography.  And, that requires a network connection that is active 24/7/365?  How often are you capturing photographs?

It is not uncommon for a computer communication connection to drop out, or simple go to sleep and wait for a “wake up”, after an extended period of inactivity.  This can happen if you are connected wirelessly or USB.  When one party or the other goes idle, then the other party may go idle, too.

Try connecting a remote wired, or wireless shutter button to it, so that you do not have to climb a ladder.  The shutter may wake the camera.

Wadizzle, my office hours are 10-7, 6 days a week.. so if you want to be REAL specific... 9/6/312

I capture daily.

snapping the shutter doesn't restore the connection, I've climbed the ladder and pressed the shutter manually (without remote or wireless shutter button).

The only thing that restores the connection is to go into the wifi connection menu and reselect the wifi setting, and the connection to device... 

at times this will make the eos utility on the PC see this, and connect automatically (then all you need to do is click on remote shooting on the PC application)... other times you have to go through the process of pairing devices again. 

but I am curious, will try the remote shutter - I think i have an amazon shutter remote somewhere.

I do think if the PC NEVER goes to sleep, the connection will stay put, to your point, but that's hard to do with regular updates and resets.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If pressing the shutter does not wake up the camera and reconnect wi-go, then I doubt that a remote shutter will be any different.

BTW, I would not expect the wireless to instantly reconnect. Does cycling power wake it up?

Your Camera does not connect to your PC. It connects to your router, and communicates with the PC.

Cycling power to the Camera does not wake it up.

Yes, in this instance you are correct, the camera is connected to the router, as is the computer.

It IS POSSIBLE to have the 6D broadcast a wifi SSID and connect to the camera directly, but this is not the case here.

That might be a solution to test out and see if the connection has more longevity.

You have a lot unknowns in your current setup.  I suggest going with a powered USB extension, direct to the PC.

mehmetbozatli
Contributor
Actually, there are few unknowns...
The only unknown is whether or not the 6D is capable of maintaining a connection to a PC directly or indirectly through a router, without irregularly timed physical manipulation of the buttons on the 6D. This can only be answered by someone at Canon, or someone who has experienced my issue, and has generated a solution.

@mehmetbozatli wrote:
Actually, there are few unknowns...
The only unknown is whether or not the 6D is capable of maintaining a connection to a PC directly or indirectly through a router, without irregularly timed physical manipulation of the buttons on the 6D. This can only be answered by someone at Canon, or someone who has experienced my issue, and has generated a solution.

You do not know that the 6D is dropping the connection.  It could be your router, which I suspect is the most likely culprit.  isolating the blame is not worth the trouble.  Go with a wired solution, via USB.  Power up wil always wake the connection.  Besides, a USB connection is faster than Wi-Fi.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements