cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii / Godox Speedlite Shutter Speed Issue

cbk331
Apprentice

Hey everyone I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with my Canon EOS 6D Mark ii when using it with my Godox X2TC Trigger and TT600 Speedlite. The specific issue is that when using the flash, I can't shoot at the camera's max sync speed of 1/180. Every shot at that shutter speed produces some form of black bar in the image. I have to shoot at 1/125 or lower. Turning on HSS hasn't worked. I've spoken to Canon, Godox, B&H, and a number of other people and have had no luck finding out what the issue could be! The only next step I can think of is to rent a Canon flash and try that to see if the same issue is showing up or if it works differently (aka is it a Canon issue or is it Godox). Below is a sample of what's happening. Any and all ideas appreciated. Thanks!

chrissie-knudsen-food-photography-error-075.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I have only used Canon speedlites, so cannot comment on any 3rd-party gear.  But the image does look like what you'd expect if the shutter is above the sync speed.

I have heard of folks mentioning to slow the shutter a bit (1/3 stop below the max sync-speed) to ensure no issues show up.  Though with my 1st gen 6D (also with that strange 1/180 sync speed) and now a 5D IV (1/200 sync), I've had no issues shooting at those exact speeds with my 600 EX speedlites.

In terms of HSS, does the 3rd party gear you have support that?

Renting does sound like a good way to troubleshoot.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the reply Ricky! So if I slow it down, the issue I'm then dealing with is fully eliminating ambient light and also any potential camera shake when not on a tripod. The HSS settings don't seem to be working either - I've done a full factory reset and updated the firmware on my camera but still can't then adjust the shutter speed above 1/180.

Also hoping if I take it to a local rental shop someone there can take a look at my gear and see if they know what the problem could be!

Chrissie

As you can see from your photo, you are not blocking the ambient light very much anyway.

You *might* try second curtain shutter, but that might just fire the flash when the shutter is totally closed. 

Are you in manual or E-TTL?

I'm shooting in manual but could there be other settings I have that could be causing the problem? I'm pretty new to this camera so it's completely possible there are some specific settings that I don't have correct but haven't identified related to this issue. I've followed a number of tutorials regarding the flash and trigger but haven't come across anything more specifically about E-TLL or other Canon settings that I've adjusted.

I was about to suggest that you try HSS without the trigger.  But, it seems that this model requires a transmitter to achieve HSS.  This raises the question of whether or not you are using the correct transmitter.  From the Godox web site.

63834AF2-FF96-4791-ACCD-CCA253F2B237.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm suspecting you may be correct on this. Which is really frustrating because I was advised to purchase these two products together and when I reached out to Godox, they didn't even say that the issue could be that the trigger isn't compatible with the flash.

In addition to renting a Canon flash to test, I'm going to see if I can rent a different Godox trigger to see if that changes things with the current flash.

Thanks for the responses!

In addition, to the above, I am not certain if the Godox TT600 is even compatible with Canon E-TTL/TTL.

@Waddizzle wrote:

In addition, to the above, I am not certain if the Godox TT600 is even compatible with Canon E-TTL/TTL.

Given the low price and the fact that it is called a manual flash i suspect it is not.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Given the low price and the fact that it is called a manual flash i suspect it is not.

You're probably correct.  But, shouldn't the correct wireless trigger be able to sync the flash?  But, not power.

Announcements