cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II hang / freeze with 1.0.4 firmware

ptr727
Apprentice

Hi, I replaced my 5D Mark II with a 6D Mark II, and today was the first day I took it out for kids soccer action.

During the morning the camera hanged / froze twice, nothing was responding, LCD was on, power button did nothing, I had to pull the battery to get going again.

When I received the camera, I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.4, that is supposed to have fixed hang / freeze problems.

I was shooting with a Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS (original version), Av 2.8, ISO Auto minimum shutter speed 1/1000, AI Servo, high speed multi shot, GPS on, WiFi off.

The viewfinder has a black spot, so I may replace the camera for that anyway, but the hang is concerning.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I seriously doubt if firmware is the problem.

The two most common causes of a camera “hanging” seem to be either a bad circuit board or a bad memory card.  But, wIth a problem in the viewfinder, you need to either exchange it or to contact Canon Support.  I would exchange it.  

Make sure you only use full size SD cards from major manufacturers.  I do not advise purchasing discounted cards on eBay or Amazon, either.  There are counterfeits out there.  Be sure to perform a low level format on new cards, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I seriously doubt if firmware is the problem.

The two most common causes of a camera “hanging” seem to be either a bad circuit board or a bad memory card.  But, wIth a problem in the viewfinder, you need to either exchange it or to contact Canon Support.  I would exchange it.  

Make sure you only use full size SD cards from major manufacturers.  I do not advise purchasing discounted cards on eBay or Amazon, either.  There are counterfeits out there.  Be sure to perform a low level format on new cards, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JonKline
Enthusiast

I have seen Canon bodies get weird with certain aftermarket batteries, too, and that tends to happen after firmware updates.

I'm using the supplied Canon battery, and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I memory card.

I think it would be best if I exchange the camera.

Exchange it yes. 

I've been on v1.0.4 since its release

I use the same brand/size/model memory cards

Use both Canon and aftermarket Watson batteries.

Have the v2 70-200 f2.8. (only difference)

I have no issues.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"I'm using the supplied Canon battery, and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I memory card."

This is not the cause.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Returning the camera for another is probably the best choice, if it is past the return period Canon provides exceptional repair service.

The only other user check I would do is make sure the battery is fully charged and the battery terminals didn't get a foreign substance on them during handling.  My 1D Mark II will very infrequently freeze during high speed shooting when a battery is both getting old and is also nearly discharged but that shouldn't be an issue with a new battery.  After it happened the second time I realized the clue was the battery indicator which would drop during rapid shooting and them move back up when I paused.

I had the first glitch with my 1DX yesterday but that was user induced.  It held the shutter open for a few seconds and then showed an error message but it was because I didn't have the 70-200 2.8 lens seated firmly.  My only guess is that I inadvertently bumped the lens release while quickly switching between two cameras covering soccer in miserable weather (35 degrees with a high wind warning and winds were gusting to 50 MPH).  I am taking this near case of "flying lens" as a warning to be more careful in the future while fumbling between camera bodies with frozen fingers.  It was interesting watching one goalie punt the ball and having it end up behind him courtesy of mother nature.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

My camera is only a few days old, so I RMA'd it with the online store.

Thank you for all the good suggestions.

FYI, my camera has been fine ever since I got a replacement.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.4, ..."

This could be the problem.  If the FW update didn't install correctly it could cause the problem.  Bottom line your camera needs to go to Canon.  If the FW install is screwed up there is nothing you can do most likely.

The fact somebody else is not experiencing 1.0.4 FW issues is meaningless. Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements