cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II announced

John_SD
Whiz

Looks like the rumors matched up pretty well with the announcement today by Canon. I will seriously consider this camera, though I may wait for its already reasonable price of $1999 to drop some before making my purchase. For someone like me, who finds moving to full frame enticing, this camera will likely be it for me. 

And no, I couldn't care less that it is lacking 4K capture. I don't care about video in the slightest. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/29/canons-new-6d-mark-ii-looks-like-a-great-update-for-its-entry-full...

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-mark-ii-body

It sounds like it could be a really great camera for enthusiasts. 

I'm no fan of articulating screens, though.  Just one more thing to break.  And, I don't see how an articulating screen can be made very dust and moisture resistant.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I'm no fan of articulating screens, though.  Just one more thing to break.  And, I don't see how an articulating screen can be made very dust and moisture resistant.  

I'm not too worried about breaking the articulating screen. But I would be concerned with the screen's water and dust resistence, as I shoot in the desert and around tidepools. The articulating screen would be of great use at the tidepools, particularly. Also when shooting flowers or insects, it will come in handy.

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I'm not too worried about breaking the articulating screen. But I would be concerned with the screen's water and dust resistence, as I shoot in the desert and around tidepools. The articulating screen would be of great use at the tidepools, particularly. Also when shooting flowers or insects, it will come in handy.

I can tell you from experience, that the first release of the 6D is a fantastic camera for shooting stills.  I like shooting landscapes, and when circumstances permit I like to shoot USB tethered with a Windows 10 2-in-1 tablet.  The larger screen on the tablet is much better than the LCD on the camera.  But, I have also shot some remarkable stills with my T5 at ISO 100.

IMG_2015_09_190383.WEB.jpg

The 80D is also a fantastic camera, which I have thought was the best buy in the Canon DSLR lineup since its' release, and still do.  Side by side comparisons of shots with th 80D and the 7D Mark Ii shows the 80D has slightly less noise at higher ISO settings.  Unless you REALLY need the advanced tracking of a 7D2, I would advise the 80D.

Enter the 6D2, with an AF system that is halfway between the 80D and 7D2, but with, hands down, better noise performance.  I would have to use a 6D2 to judge the value of it, but my gut is still with the 80D as being the best buy.  The 80D high ISO images nearly rival the original 6D, except in the most extreme scenarios.

If it sounds like I am saying that the 7D2 has been nearly matched and/or exceeded, then make no mistake, I am.  The 6D2 would have to demonstrate a significant jump in noise performance before I could give it the nod over an 80D.

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The only camera I've had with an articulating screen was my first digital camera, a G-5. The three uses for which I found the screen valuable were shooting selfies, shooting at close to ground level, and shooting over crowds.

Would you believe that the spellchecker doesn't like the word "selfies"?  Smiley Surprised

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The only camera I've had with an articulating screen was my first digital camera, a G-5. The three uses for which I found the screen valuable were shooting selfies, shooting at close to ground level, and shooting over crowds.

Would you believe that the spellchecker doesn't like the word "selfies"?  Smiley Surprised

The 6D is a bit heavy for shooting selfies at arm's length.  It would be useful for ground level shots.  I shoot over crowds, anyway.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 6D is a bit heavy for shooting selfies at arm's length.  It would be useful for ground level shots.  I shoot over crowds, anyway.

No, the "selfies" I took then were from a tripod, fired remotely. The articulated screen lets you see what you're going to get if you're eyesight is good enough.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I just looked at the specs.  I didn't care for the 6D and I don't think I will like the 6D Mk II much more.  It is a FF 80D from what I can tell.  What's with only one SD slot Canon? It remains an entry level camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was and still am very excited by this release. I have the 6d1 and it actually beat the contemporary 5d3 in high ISO IQ and at -3EV, in low light focusing. 

The AF points are not wide spread but they are really not much less spread out than the 5d4 so that concern is overblown. 

I couldnt care less about recording 2 copies of every shot vs only one.  Maybe some day a card will fail but never once yet.  I also don't care about video so lack of 4K is not relevant but the dual pixel AF will really improve video. I think I am a buyer. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I was and still am very excited by this release. I have the 6d1 and it actually beat the contemporary 5d3 in high ISO IQ and at -3EV, in low light focusing. 

The AF points are not wide spread but they are really not much less spread out than the 5d4 so that concern is overblown. 

I couldnt care less about recording 2 copies of every shot vs only one.  Maybe some day a card will fail but never once yet.  I also don't care about video so lack of 4K is not relevant but the dual pixel AF will really improve video. I think I am a buyer. 

Well, the camera seems to be getting rave reviews to this point. Its intended enthusiast audience seems clearly the segment that it is intended for. And the body lists at $100 less than the 6D1 when it was released. 

The knocks on the 6D2 -- no 4K video, no second card slot, no cheap, anemic built-in flash -- all add up to zip for me. 

This is the camera to move to, it seems, for those of us wanting to get into full frame, or perhaps continue with full frame, without spending $3K+.

Announcements