cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II Locked on Error 70

Davoud
Enthusiast

After struggling for an hour or so with third-party camera-control software I ended up with an ERR 70 on my 6d Mk II.

The software that I was using is from a reputable developer; it is widely used by astrophotographers and I have been using it for years with various Canon DSLRs without a problem. This is my first attempt to use it with the 6D Mk II. Sometimes it worked, sometimes the software would fail to connect to the camera. It was in the course of troubleshooting this problem that I ended up with  ERR 70.

Possible bugs in the interaction between Mac OS High Sierra and the camera could be at fault.

In any case, I ended up with  ERR 70. Removing the battery for a couple of hours didn't help.Changing lenses didn't help. Reformatting the SD card didn't help. Other ideas most welcome.

Thanks,

David aka Davoud

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Have you tried powering off, removing the SD Card and then repowering with no card installed?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Have you tried powering off, removing the SD Card and then repowering with no card installed?

Yes. Every conceivable combination of powering off/removing card/removing battery/changing lenses...

Use a new SD card if it won't work then try turn off the automatic sensor cleaning and see what happens.

I googled and found this link.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/260752/HELP%21+Error+Code+70

Another maybe useful info :

http://www.reikanphotography.co.uk/blog/2011/11/Canon-EOS-Cameras-Recovering-from-Err-70

Quote : A Solution What I’m posting below is a method which gets the camera working again in most situations. It may need some steps done in a different order, or to be repeated etc, but playing with this set of operations gets it up and running again: First, put the camera in one of the C1/C2/C3 modes Adjust as many of the settings back to default as possible (custom functions, image mode etc). I’m not sure this step is necessary, but it’s worth a try. Power the camera off Remove the lens, switch to CA mode and power the camera up again You should see a menu rather than “Err 70″ It will be a cut-down menu as you’re in CA mode without a lens, but it’s there nevertheless. If you can get to “Clear Camera Settings” then do this. For me, I then just switched to Av mode and it all worked, and has been fine since

@lly3988 wrote:

Use a new SD card if it won't work then try turn off the automatic sensor cleaning and see what happens.

I googled and found this link.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/260752/HELP%21+Error+Code+70

Thanks for taking time to reply. I fear that you missed the word Locked in the subject line. The camera does not power on, but only dsplays ERR 70 on the LCD Panel, so the notion of interacting with the menus is moot. The correct answer, according to Canon tech support just now, is to send the camera to a Canon repair facility.

David

Have you tried rotated the mode dial to C1 C2 etc before you switch on the camera ?

If it doesn't work, send it in for repair.

I know this topic is old, but I just encountered the same problem. And this is what I found. I had the Sigma 105mm EF Art lens mounted, and was trying to take some test pictures in live view(just received the camera). Finally out of frustration, I changed lenes to a canon lens. No more problem. I then changed to a different Sigma lens, and again no problem. With that information I did some more searches and this is what I found. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/canon-users-aug-2017 "When certain lenses are attached to these cameras and the “Lens aberration correction” function on these cameras is set to “Enable” for Live View shooting, an error would occur.
Please set the “Lens aberration correction” function of the cameras to “Disable” when using SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses for CANON.".  I turned the aberation off(only first one in menu),  and the problem was resolved. Not sure this is others problems, but this corrected the issue for me. I was having a panic attack because I just received the new camera and was in politically correct terms, having a bird.

Ray-uk
Whiz

Remove battery, lens and memory card. Close battery and memory card doors.

Turn power switch to ON position, press shutter button and hold for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Turn power switch OFF.

This should clear internal memory and reset to factory conditions.

Refit battery, close door, turn power switch ON.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Remove battery, lens and memory card. Close battery and memory card doors.

Turn power switch to ON position, press shutter button and hold for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Turn power switch OFF.

This should clear internal memory and reset to factory conditions.

Refit battery, close door, turn power switch ON.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Sounded good—something I had not tried. Alas, it didn't help. Appreciate it anyway.

David

Announcements