cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DIII Auto ISO in Manual + exposure compensation

pvk
Contributor

Hi everyone,

You can use Exposure Compensation in Av, Tv, or P Mode to slightly adjust the exposure that the camera is selecting. In Av mode, you fix Av and ISO, the camera selects the shutter speed with the correction from the overcompensation.

In M mode with Auto ISO, I really don't understand why the Exposure Compensation is not present. In M mode, I would like to fix apperture, shutter speed, and use Auto ISO to do the last fine tuning, but here I can't select Exposure Compensation. 

I guess this comes from the days where you had to fix the ISO in the low 100 to 400, but now you have so much more room to play with this, having Exposure Compensation with Auto ISO would really help me. I now usually manually set the ISO to overexpose and check the histogram, but camera could help me with slight changes in lighting if I could use Auto ISO.

PvK

42 REPLIES 42

At the time, it was put on the 1dx but not in the 5dmkiii. A lot of people thought it was silly for me to ask about it, because they argued it is not useful.

Since then, Canon and other manufacturers have put it on every camera, just not on the 5d. 

I have moved on, sold the 5d mkii and bought a Sony mirrorless camera.

Mine Nikon D700 released in 2008 is allowed for ec in M at auto iso, but 5D3 from 2012 not, it is about 4 year.

Different cameras have different features, and that's life.  It's the nature of competition and development.  I get that you are frustrated, but with very few people likely to have made this an issue over the last 10 years, it's extremely unlikely that Canon will invest in the effort to add new firmware now.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Your complaints regarding the 5D3. are almost a decade too late to make a difference.  The camera is what it is, and there will not be any firmware updates.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Who knows... Latest firmware for 5D3 is realised in 2019 which corrects some vulnerability issue, why not include some minor changes like EC mode if Canon decide fix another vulnerability issue.

There are some things to consider here.  Canon have not historically released a lot of firmware updates for their DSLRs, especially feature enhancement - they do so for more for the new generation of MILCs.  The 5DIII celebrated its 10th birthday last month and they generally don't support cameras for as long a period as this.  They are now concentrating on the new MILCs and, while I be very happy if they could conform to your wishes, I suspect that horse has bolted.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Vulnerability issues are a very different thing from feature updates.  If you look at software, for example, Microsoft provided vulnerability updates for both Windows 7 and Windows 10 long past their official expiry for support of those operating systems.  It shows an effort by the supplier to protect the user from attack via their products.  Adding new features is completely different.

cheers, TREVOR

Not really, the complaint was from 2013. It is just that now new people started reacting again.

The complaint may be from 2013, but it appears on this site now.  What we are saying is that AT THIS TIME, it's too late.  I'm not sure what you think bringing it up now is going to achieve: the ability to do something about it is long gone, so to me it's just a venting exercise...

cheers, TREVOR

Nope, I put it on this site on 2013

click here to view the gallery
Announcements