cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark iv vs R6 mark ii

manfred9
Contributor

I have a 90D and EF lenses from wide to telephoto and macro. But thinking along the line that the lenses are more important than the body and I am not using the lenses to their full potential on a small frame, I am thinking of either the 5D mark iv or the R6 mark ii.

I could get a used 5D mark iv with a shutter count of 35k for a good price and could keep my 90D or I trade in the 90D and buy the R6 mark ii.

Can't make up my mind?

I am mostly doing landscape, flower and some family pictures. All are hobby pictures.

Reading only reviews - the autofocus on the R6 is superior to the 5D. But since I am not into action photography, i don't think it is of much benefit to me.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Move to the RF Mount which has a future. The EF Mount is done and all development has ended. Don't get me the 5D Mark IV is a great camera but the technology in the R6 Mark II. Has greatly eclipsed DSLR cameras. It has IBIS a feature that wasn't offered in any of the DSLR lineup. Better AF system in low light a better dynamic range. Also ISO can be pushed higher if needed. What lenses do you have. If you have any EF-S lenses they WILL NOT MOUNT or work on a Full Frame DSLR. They'll work in crop mode on a mirrorless camera. But the megapixel output is greatly reduced. For instance the R5 has a 45 megapixel sensor. But in APS-C mode it's only 17.6 because the lens only projects an image circle large enough for an APS-C sensor.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Agree with Demetrius.  A R62 and a Canon EF to EOS R adapter.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

manfred9
Contributor

Thanks for your replies, will take them into consideration. IBIS is definitely a strong point. In regard to the AF, I am less convinced that I would need it for my (non-sports or action photography). Same for the wider ISO range. I just checked my LR catalog and I have only pushed it a few times above iso8000.

My lenses are all EF

- Canon EF 50mm 1.4
- Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS II USM
- Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS II USM
- Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di Macro
- Tokina SD 11-20mm f2.8 IF DX

Note 3rd Party lens compatability IS NOT Canon's responsibility. Note older EF lenses DO NOT support all features on EOS R series cameras. Most Canon EF lenses released in or after 2009 support all features.

1000006168.jpg

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Were just here to recommend.  🌞

Here's a side by side.  

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R6-Mark-II-vs-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I knew about that review, but you can also find [removed per Forum Guidelinesreviews which come to a different conclusion.

Cheers
Manfred

Those links aren't allowed - they have links to buy the products.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements