cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon EF vs RF opinions

kinopmi
Apprentice

I basically film my daughter and her friends jumping their horses in competition rings. Im an uneducated amateur hobbyist at best 😉 I'm upgrading my gear to a EOS r6 mark ii. It runs RF not EF...

So my question is... id like to just run my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM but Ill need an RF adapter. The RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM is an option instead but seems smaller https://tutuapp.uno/ 

My goal is faster action shots and keep or improve the quality.

Which way would you go and why?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

"The RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM is an option instead but seems smaller"

Why would smaller seem to be a disadvantage to you? If you have the funds it is always better to use the native RF version of a lens. 

If you decide to stay with the EF lens be sure to get the Canon brand adapter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The focal length of the two lenses is identical. The EF version is an internal zoom, the RF version is an external zoom.  

I own both lenses, and actually prefer the RF version because of it's compactness.  It fits in a smaller bag, etc.  Functional differences.  The EF version zooms internally, when you zoom the RF version, the lens barrel extends.  The EF accepts a TC.  The RF version does not support a TC.  There's a rumor of an RF 70-200 mkII Z which will be an internal RF zoom and accept a TC.  There is no release date currently.  Your EF 70-200 will work perfectly well with the R62 and continue to be every bit as sharp.  We recommend you use a Canon brand adapter.  The advanced AF algorithms, subject tracking and ISO performance on the R62 will easily outperform any DSLR.  The only exception would be a 1Dx series body.  The new camera will be a huge upgrade and something you will appreciate immediately.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... my daughter and her friends jumping their horses in competition rings."

I did that! My good friend who is another professional photographer had a neighbor girl that was way into the sport big time. Her mother owned a horse farm. He asked if I could help with the shooting which went on for several years until a divorce split the horse farm and eventually closed it. Anyway, I found the 70-200mm a bit too short of FL and so did my buddy. He made good use of the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens. And I favored my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon EF. Now of course we both had other lenses with us but these were the top choices. Of course it depends on the arena you are shooting in and I know we had a lot of different arenas on the circuit but you are still pretty far from the action in any of them.

Now I am certain these lenses are not readily available for your EOS R6 Mk II but Canon has counter parts to them that are. I might add these lenses are not cheap and I suspect the RF equivalent are not either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements