cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Canon lenses are best for use on Safari in Kenya?

garymak
Enthusiast

What Canon lenses are best for use on Safari in Kenya?  I am looking for advice based on experience, specifically in Africa, preferably Kenya, on a safari.   ("Experience" means you have first-hand knowledge of the tight spaces and even tighter weight restrictions on in-country flying, which means you have to carefully choose your equipment given these restrictions.)

Body is the R5, and if I can, 5D MKIII as back up.

What would experienced people recommend? 
1) Lenses I will bring:
- 16mm pancake (tiny, no weight consideration, and needed for those open plains shots...)
- 24-240mm ƒF4-6.3 IS (not an "L" but good range for travel)
- graduate ND 8 square glass filter for quick holding and eliminating time screwing round filters on and off
- polarizers

2) Lenses I can also bring given the above:
- EF 100-400mmL ƒ/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (+RF adapter)
- RF 600mm ƒ11 IS
- RF 70-200mmL ƒ4 IS

4) For accessories I will bring:
- unfilled bean bag - will scrounge around for beans or something to fill it with since we're dealing with weight restrictions
- Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod
- large nylon drawstring bags to put camera in on Land Rover outings.
- WANDRD PRVKE Lite Photography Bag (small, expandable, backside opening, comfortable, waterproof-ish)

5) For accessories what about:
- monopod (I've heard a tripod is impractical and the small Manfrotto works well most of the time and if I need height, I'll find something to put it on)

So, thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback, suggestions, tips, tricks, considerations, recommendations, and considerations... Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

The doohickey...

Your RF 600mm f/11 lens has a tripod foot, but it's not on a collar that can be rotated. So if you wish to take a portrait-format photo, you'll need to use your tripod's head to rotate the camera/lens combination. Users of Canon's 'big white' lenses with proper tripod collar can simply slacken the collar clamp, rotate the lens in its collar, and re-clamp.

The illustrated doohickey is a third-party item, there are several versions available (check out Amazon) and they screw to your lens's tripod foot and provide an Arca-compatible foot, but also a second one at right angles, so you can release your lens from your Arca quick-release shoe and re-mount it on the other foot for portrait pics.

I have one mounted to my RF 800mm f/11 which is slightly different to the illustrated one, in that its 'main' Arca-compatible foot is longer, so I can slide it along the quick-release shoe to obtain optimum balance of my camera/lens combination. This is helpful when I'm using a gimbal head.

Arca L bracket.jpg

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Spare batteries.  Spare memory cards.  Air puffer, jumbo ziplock bags. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Not sure how that answers my question about lenses from people with experience on Safari in Kenya.  Also, FYI, plastic bags are illegal in Kenya...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Same answer as in your other thread.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

The EF 100-400 L lens weighs 1.5kg but it's a great lens, very flexible, a real do-everything lens on safari. The RF 600mm f/11 lens is far smaller and lighter than anything else on the market with its reach. I would take both if I could.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

Thanks very much... I think the scales are tipping in favor of the 100-400... 

(BTW, I go back to the FTb...) 😉

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You're right.  Was holding back.  I had no idea single use plastic bags were banned since 2017.  It seems however they still have a plastic issue.  I'd be leery taking a 5D3 on Safari, but if this is the second camera you have then its your back up.  It uses the same battery as your R5 (good).  Taking 2 body's is a tough call.  If anything happens to the R5, all is lost.  

The pancake fits in a shirt pocket f2.8, its a given.  Where you are light is 24-70, but the 24-240 has received a lot of good press.  Trevor (Forum name Tronhard) has demonstrated just how sharp this lens can be.  If you cannot bring all of the lenses above, I'd skip the 70-200.  This lens can only be used on the R5 and you have this focal length covered.  The 100-400 can be used on the primary or back up body.  If you don't bring a back up body, then go all in RF and adapt the 100-400 for any shots where you need longer range zoom capability.  

Your other accessories look good.  I might favor the mini manfrotto and bean bag over a monopod.  Its likely you can use part of the rover, or its hood with the tripod and bag for extended periods with the RF 600.  This lens will be great during the day and you won't have any issues with light.  Given its low weight, there is no reason to leave it behind.  I was going to recommend a L type bracket for the RF 600, but you will probably only shoot horizontal and the PIXI doesn't have an arca adapter.  

shadowsports_0-1678945169076.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That's great info/advice!  Thanks much!  I guess as we draw closer I'll see how it all fits in the backpack (and in my photo vest!)  BTW, what is that doohickey shown in the photo?

The 24-240 has been a good travel lens for about 2 years now, and, even though when converting from RAW to JPG you lose a few mm due to its barrel distortion, the convenience of the range, its lightness and its sharpness make it a great go-to lens.  

Again, this is a "test run" and I'll see what happens.  I also have a 24-105 ƒ4L, which, if matched with the 100-400 ƒ4-5.6L II, would cover a good range as well, but the 24-240mm just gives more versatility in a lot of situations.  I guess I'll find out...

BTW, I put a small arca-swiss ballhead on the PIXI as I have arca-swiss plates on the bottom of my cameras with  slots for threading my hand grips:

IMG_7203.JPG

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

The doohickey...

Your RF 600mm f/11 lens has a tripod foot, but it's not on a collar that can be rotated. So if you wish to take a portrait-format photo, you'll need to use your tripod's head to rotate the camera/lens combination. Users of Canon's 'big white' lenses with proper tripod collar can simply slacken the collar clamp, rotate the lens in its collar, and re-clamp.

The illustrated doohickey is a third-party item, there are several versions available (check out Amazon) and they screw to your lens's tripod foot and provide an Arca-compatible foot, but also a second one at right angles, so you can release your lens from your Arca quick-release shoe and re-mount it on the other foot for portrait pics.

I have one mounted to my RF 800mm f/11 which is slightly different to the illustrated one, in that its 'main' Arca-compatible foot is longer, so I can slide it along the quick-release shoe to obtain optimum balance of my camera/lens combination. This is helpful when I'm using a gimbal head.

Arca L bracket.jpg

Ah! Gotcha!

Announcements