cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV as USB Camera

mjchumley
Apprentice

I am using my 5D Mark IV as a USB camera using a video card to convert HDMI to USB for my Mac.  I need to use this for one hour increments to teach, every day, for 15 weeks.  Does anyone know if using the camera in this way for long periods is an issue?  I am hearing my camera make clicking noises, in groups...several clicks and then 30-40 seconds, then it does it again.  I am worried that having the mirror locked out of the way for the video is the issue.  Any ideas???

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I wouldn't do it to my 5D Mk IV. But it is just a tool that can be repaired or replaced as necessary.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 5D Mark IV is listed as having clean HDMI output.  Whether or not it can do it day in and day out for several weeks is an entirely different question.  Battery power might be an issue for hour long sessions.  I really don't know.  

D17AE498-BE22-486D-A6CD-64D7C6761D40.jpeg

I suggest that you test the camera for an hour with a a fully charged battery BEFORE your classes begin.  You might want to add a battery grip for extra power, as well as extra batteries and a spare charger.  An AC adapter is best, but they seem to be in very high demand for all cameras.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JRogers67
Apprentice

I've been using my 5Dmk4 commercially for over 3 years. A big part of my studio workflow invoves using Liveview for hours on end - day in and day out for hundreds of shots. What you are doing is primarily the same thing only capturing the video through the HDMI rather than the USB like me. I've had no problems. Its what the camera was engineered to do.

Can't speak to the speciffics of the clicking noises. Kind of sounds like a lens with a noisy auto-focus motor.

@JRogers67 wrote:

Can't speak to the speciffics of the clicking noises. Kind of sounds like a lens with a noisy auto-focus motor.

I would agree.  The noises are probably coming from the lens.  The lenses for photography do not always make out to be the best lenses for shooting video, including many L series zoom lenses.  One of the best for video is the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements