cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Main Dial Issue & More

Bebop
Apprentice

You can count me in as another person with problems with my 5D mark iv. I've only just joined this forum as I have been searching for answers. 

My camera has not locked up (yet), however the front dial by the shutter button is behaving strangely. It often takes several clicks to move to the next value when selecting shutter speed and in the menu system, it may take several clicks to get to the next menu, or sometimes it jumps menus, or even goes in the opposite direction.

I bought it 2 yrs and 2 months ago and it has a shutter count of 18,000.

Another odd thing I noticed today. When I tried to view images on the CF card I got a strange white line along one side, and just black - it was an empty card. The SD card (also empty) came up with the 'no image' message. I reformatted the card (again) and this time it did come up with the 'no image' message.

I do vaguely remember having a problem with it once before, a long time ago. I think removing the battery sorted it on that occasion. I cannot remember the issue, but I think the camera was completely unusable.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are you here asking for advice?

What I would do??  Contact Canon. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hi All,

Same exact frustrating problem here. I purchased used 5D Mark IV from a friend because he upgraded. He got it when they were first released about 6 years before. Shutter count put it at 9% of lifetime shutter releases. So not a harsh 6 years.

When I first noticed the problem I thought it was my imagination, but nope. Google helped with some ideas about rubbing alcohol, but I chose to use a product specifically made to be safe for electronics and plastics.

I'm very happy to report after a two very cautious and anxious applications of the spray, each "click" of the dial also changes the aperture, no disassembly required - that was a surprise...

I went into this knowing I could mess something up, but I accepted that risk. YMMV.

My background is very heavy with technical skills surrounding electronics, including an AAS in electronics technology, and 22 years of installing, maintaining, and performing corrective service on hospital x-ray systems including heart cath labs, CT's and MR's.

I knew that it was worth a shot to try and fix the camera before spending the money to replace the dial and that if I messed up the dial using the spray, that was my only option in the first place! No guts, no glory.

Additionally, back in May when I first used tried out the contact cleaner spray I used it on the batteries first and my "old" battery was showing as 3 reds under battery info. After applying and cleaning each of the contact on the battery and charger the "old" battery only showed a single red and has lasted for 100's of photos over 12 hours in a single day. My new battery was there for backup.

If you're a troll don't waste any time on this thread. Go somewhere else.

The product is "Caig DeoxIT D5 in the LMH spray can" and can be purchased from many retailers. There's also a different D5, but I only used the Caig product.

If my dial melts or my camera explodes and I survive, I'll be sure to update my comments.

Best of luck.

James

I know I'm replying to my own post, but for the sake of clarity, the amount of product required was less than one drop total, applied with the camera facing down so the dial was horizontal in event of unintentional overspray.

MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER! One tiny spritz followed by turning the dial many times both directions, then another tiny spritz and more turning. Now my 24-105 always has 15 clicks min aperture to max aperture or back with my current settings. I didn't realize how frustrated I was with skipping until was gone. Now I feel like I'm running through wheat fields in 4k slow motion in the sunshine, lol.

I may just be the one-in-a-million lucky person who this worked for. Don't underestimate the risks involved here, too much spray may have the potential to render the camera body useless. Not joking.

It is also worth considering the possibility that the Deoxit didn't actually clean any electrical contacts, but instead removed finger/skin oils/lotions from the part of the rubber ring that turns the internal selector it is covering. A combination of removing oils and adding a tiny bit of grip to the aged rubber ring may also be how it worked. Either seems somewhat plausible.

YMMV: Either way, don't try this if you have any doubt's. Only attempt after careful consideration. Then be prepared to live with the results, good or bad.

James

#theoneluckypersonitworkedfor

I was having the same exact issue with my main control dial. It was especially annoying when  I used it to navigate through the menus. As with you, I also thought it was my imagination but over the years, the skipping became progressively worse. I found your post today from a Google search 'Canon 5D Mark IV skipping main control wheel' I happened to have an old spray can of zero residue contact cleaner that I used on my avionics and aircraft radios to keep them trouble free. Most notably, it states  on the can that it is SAFE FOR PLASTICS. It took just two drops to fix the problem 100% -- LPS CFC Free Electro Contact Cleaner -- I bought it from Aircraft Spruce. And yes, what a joy to use the main control wheel now! Thank you jteel3 !!!

I just tried the Caig DeoxIT D5 on my 5D Mark IV which had horrible skipping of the wheel, especially in one of the directions. Worked like a charm.

I followed the directions on can. Sprayed solution on to a cloth, whipped the wheel and activated it thoroughly.  Waited a few seconds and cleaned it again with a fresh cloth/solution.  Waited 2 minutes and its working great now.

For those wondering, this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LVEU

is what I purchased.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... slowly moving away from them to Sony"

Certainly your prerogative. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements