cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV AI Servo issue

Boogielove
Contributor

My 5D Mark IV will slip into AI Servo by itself in manual. VERY annoying. Any ideas??

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When the problem occurs, do you have your eye up to the viewfinder? I'm wondering if you're accidentally changing AF mode when thinking you're changing something else?

Did you perhaps set up custom controls? e.g. page 502 of the User Manual mentions that you can set things up to switch the AF operation between One Shot and AI Servo.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi thanks for responding! I don't think I'm touching anything. It's been going on for a while. At first I thought maybe it stayed there after I switched into custom mode to shoot wildlife but lately I'm sure its just doing its own thing

It sounds like you are using a Custom Shooting Mode, which keeps reverting back to its registered user settings.  This is normal behavior.  Custom Shooting Modes are intended to be used as a preset.  Many users find the behavior to be confusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi nope just manual. I do have custom settings with AI Servo as they are my wildlife settings but I swear it changes by itself in Manual

@Boogielove wrote:

Hi nope just manual. I do have custom settings with AI Servo as they are my wildlife settings but I swear it changes by itself in Manual

That’s very unusual.  If it happens again, please let us know about it.  THX

Sadly it's been happening for months...I'll be out shooting and not changing the settings then I look at it and whammo

normadel
Authority
Authority

Does this happen when you DON'T use a Custom Shooting mode? 

You can try a factory reset, though this will clear your custom settings.

Hi- it ONLY happens in M. Thanks.

@Boogielove wrote:

Hi- it ONLY happens in M. Thanks.

I am assuming that the Shooting Mode dial on top of the camera is set to M.  When you press the Quick Menu Button, [Q], what shooting mode is indicated in the top left corner?  Does it display a large “M”?

Announcements