cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MKii Error CF

Kayla1
Contributor

So what originally happened was I borrowed a card reader to load images that I later found out was corrupt. I didn't find out until I used the memory card back into my camera - busy, error CF, please format card. Go to format, says cannot format, change card. Ok. Change card (I have 5 Lexar's). Same thing. And again for all 5 of my cards now! Cards work on my old 40D which I had on me at my shoot this happened at. I was told to try and format the cards on my laptop.. I own a mac so I erased the partition under MS-DOS (FAT) on one of them and while the card seems fine on the computer, it's still the same error back in camera. Then I tried to format the rest of them, all but one would not read, the one that did (32gb udma7 bought this year) had an error saying the disk inserted was not readable by this computer, I clicked on Initialize and it brought me to disk utility where it said the name was Generic Compact Flash and capacity was 155gb?! Tried to erase partition, after a while it came back to say disk erase failed, unable to write to last block of device. There are no bent or missing pins in camera or my own card reader (not the corrupt one that originally started all of this) - everything was working perfectly fine before I used this card reader.. Is this an issue internally with the body? How could this be fixed? 

21 REPLIES 21

Ray-uk
Whiz

Have you tried doing a master reset of the 5D Mk II.

Factory Reset? Yes.. I took it to my local Henrys outlet and we tried that. Didn't do anything.

I have seen cases where a faulty or cheap card reader has damaged cards but I have not heard of a damaged card causing damage to a camera but I suppose if it has done that then it may have damaged your own card reader as well.

I think the only way to find out is to get a new card that hasn't been used in any camera or card reader and try that in your camera. A low capacity cheap one will give you answer as whether the camera is at fault.

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

Kayla: Shut down the computer and disconnect the card reader. Restart computer.

Format CF card(s) to FAT32 on computer. Full format preferred over quick format.

Insert CF card in camera, turn camera ON.

If no warnings come on, you're set to use the camera.

Note: whenever possible use your camera to computer cable to download pictures off the CF card - along with EOS Utility as its software. Install EOS Utility off the dvd that came along with the camera. Card readers often cause the file corruptions you described.

Hope it helps.

Paul

@PaulSoebekti wrote:

Note: whenever possible use your camera to computer cable to download pictures off the CF card - along with EOS Utility as its software. Install EOS Utility off the dvd that came along with the camera. Card readers often cause the file corruptions you described.

Not sure I fully agree with this.  I use card readers frequently.  For images, video, to upgrade maps on the SD card for the navigation system in my car, as well as an OBD2 scanner I own.  I've not had any issues.  If you search the forums here, you will see many posts from others who also recommend using a card reader.  I have them built into into 2 of my laptops.  Works perfectly.  To each his/her own.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

OP is using a MacBook, which has a built-in SD card reader.  He stated it was broken, so maybe something else is wrong as well.

Kayla1
Contributor
These are CF cards not SD. Therefore reader needed. I use a good quality reader myself and adobe to import images. Only one of my cards went into the borrowed corrupt reader then put back into my camera. So yes my card is corrupt and it's spreading, but the other 4 cards were no where near the bad reader, only went into my camera - so I'm worried my camera is corrupt if thats even possible?

You did mention the CF card ... just a brain cramp here. Your issue is something I never heard of before. Have you tried a fresh card that was never in your camera?

Kayla1
Contributor
Its bizarre. Ive never heard of it either, trusty Google was also no help nor have the reps I've talked to at repair shops. Looks like I might just have to send it in. Its my main so I can't not have it working at its 100%
Announcements